Chapter Twenty-three: the bet

She hummed softly as she tapped her foot on air, hands lazily rested on the arms of the black chair she sat on. The black leather matched her hair, just like it matched her long nails and flowing gown. Her lips were smeared with black lipstick, just as thick as the mascara that brushed her short lashes up. Her nails continuously drummed on the leather chair, just as both shoed feet tapped on the floorboard and air.

   A small smile spread on her face as she heard the footsteps of her trusted assistants. She knew what they were rushing over to tell her, way before they even knew what was happening. The moment it happened, she knew. It was her job after all to keep an eye on him.

   The three older witches ran into the room, all instantly fell on their knees to show their respect to their queen. The lady on the chair opened her eyes; her soulless black eyes. Her irises were black, as dark as the chair she sat on and the colour of her hair and nails. She dropped her crossed leg and crossed it at her ankles instead.

   "Let me guess, King Carswell found his petty little mate," she said with a sick smile.

   "Yes, milady," they chorused. She burst into a misty laugh, throwing her head back with eyes glowing even in it dark state.

   "Can you see the universe is on our side?" She boomed, "just when we thought winning the war would be a little too difficult for us, they gave us a solution. Do you know what this mean?" She asked.

   "King Carswell's weak spot has been found. We get the female, we finally get the means to control him…"

   "And with him by our side, there is no stopping us. However, if he refuses to join us even with her in captivity, then we use her to end him. This is going to be much more easier than I thought," she danced her legs as she began to laugh once more. The three witches looked at one another. Obviously, their queen didn't know the downside of the situation.

   "You tell her," the first whispered. The second rolled her eyes to the third who gasped and looked at the first. The lady noticed their not so decreet stare and frowned.

   "What is it?" She demanded. "What do I not know?"

   "The mate," the first started fearfully, "did you see her face?"

   The lady shrugged, "I only know he found his erasthasis, didn't bother to check. Why? Who is she?"

   "The alpha female you are still trying to investigate, the one whose wolf you feel is extremely powerful and would be useful to your plan." The second said.

   "The female whose face we cannot see because of the blinding light that surrounds her. That, is his mate." They chorused. The victorious smile on her face and the joy of triumph bobbling in her, left as soon as it came.

   She knew the female, or at least, was trying to know the female. A female whose face she couldn't see, whose star she couldn't read, whose spirit she could never summon. Even when she got her new abilities, she still couldn't see the female. Pictures, videos, drawings, nothing could capture her face but the non witch that had seen her, had all said she was a beauty to behold.

   No one must be more beautiful than her; no one must be stronger than her. A female surrounded with light was enough trouble, but to be mates to the bigger trouble, that she couldn't sit back and wait for… Or maybe she should. With the right plan, she would be able to kill two birds with one stone.

   With that thought in her mind, the lady leaned back on her chair and smiled. "Change of plans, my beautiful, we begin the attack plan now. We start with the weakest of the canid clan, make it simple in a way it would be blamed on rogues. A little distraction for our lovely king, and a little time for me to come up with the perfect plan. You are dismissed."