Chapter Forty: The end of the war

Xyra's viewpoint

   I sat on my office desk, kicking my legs in the air with weight rested on my hands as I leaned back on it. My eyes were closed, Majesty humming in my head to keep the worry away. Moira, Zeph and April were energetically talking about their mates and sex life.

   So, we couldn't just leave because of Moira and her mate. They spent seven days getting to know each other, kissing and going on dates. We had to stay back because Moira had to return with us, we still needed her. So after their days together, we returned home.

   Carswell immediately locked himself up in a sacred room no feet has ever touched, aside from his. He needed it to communicate with his dragon. While he was locked up in there, I was taking over for him, doing most of his work with the help of Caesar who was pretty disappointed when he heard Moira was taken. Issues of dispute between packs and violent fights kept coming up. Packs just kept attacking each other for no just cause, just arguing and getting violent.

   The enemy changed their strategy, turned their dark spell to the wolves. They were killing each other, wiping each other out; over almost a hundred dead in thirteen days. It was bothering me, and the girls were trying to cheer me up. But that wasn't even the main reason for my worry.

   "Xyra, pay attention," April said as she gave my lap a slap. I hummed and looked at her, telling her I was listening. April decided to stay back because we needed her and she couldn't bare to be away from us once more. Luckily, her mate was fine with it and our pack was still safe.

   "Xyra, you have to listen to what I'm telling you about," Zeph said with annoyance.

   "Look," I sighed jadedly, "I'm really sorry, girls, but I have more to worry about than talking about our sex lives. In case you haven't notice, I haven't seen my mate in six days, Moira haven't slept with Zimri yet and I have to focus on why the werecanids have been attacking each other for the past thirteen days. I can't believe Caesar didn't call to tell us when we were back at Zim's. We would have been back sooner!"

   "He thought he could handle it alone," Moira reminded me of Caesar's pathetic excuse. When we returned to the castle to meet the present problem, Caesar had told me he didn't want to disturb us and worry Carswell. Of course I screamed and punched him, but kept it away from Carswell so he wouldn't change his mind about seeking information from the dragon.

   "And plus, we weren't talking about our sex lives. If you were paying attention, you would have realise that sooner," Zeph snapped irritably. I paused my lips and stared at her. In my worry, I hadn't taken my time to focus on how miserable my best friend looked.

   Zephyr's Maastricht blue hair seemed to have grown grey and black streaks, something it did when she was perplex, agitated, and sad. Her deep and dark blue eyes had turn black and her alabaster skin was pale and flush with pink. She had bags underneath her hollow eyes and her lips were somehow dry. She had also gotten skinner.

   "Zephyr, are you alright?"

   "No! No, I am not!" She shouted, throwing her hands up into the air. "Something is wrong with Zane! He has been acting different since we returned. He doesn't talk to me that much, avoids eye contact, doesn't touch me and even when he did, my body reacted negatively. It almost feels as if he is trying to take control of my mind. My body knows something is wrong, that would explain this!" She pointed at her new appearance. "Something is wrong with my Zane," she wailed, "do you think he is cheating on me?"

   "Why would he cheat?" I asked thoughtfully. I hadn't failed to notice how Zane always scurry away from me as if I was hurting him with my presence. And the three time I managed to graze him with my fingers, he hissed and flinched from pain. Most times, he covered his eyes like he couldn't see. I just didn't pay attention to it that much because I had other pressing issues.