Chapter Sixty-one: what to protect

Xyra's viewpoint

Walking over to her was a problem, a shield around her body pushed me back. It was for her protection. I inhaled deeply, held it in, gathering enough of my energy before letting it free with an exhale. I stepped into the barrier surrounding her and spread my hands apart. My chains shot out with an abrupt force from both hands, bursting through the barrier and shattering it momentarily.

"Moira," I called urgently.

"Right," she quickly got in front of Athens, cupped her head and shut her eyes. I kept my hands apart to keep the barrier down. The moment my hands drop, the barrier follows.

Moira grunted, a frown forming on her lips; something she does when something she wants to do is too difficult for her. Then came the crinkles on her cheeks and the determine draw of her brows, followed by the spark of electricity in her fingers and usually her eyes as well-if it was open.

Athens let out a loud excruciating scream, holding on to whimpering Moira to stop her. I felt it, her energy building up to explode. I had to conceal it. Grateful to the fact that she had familiar energy, I tapped into her powers, hacked into her barrier and manipulated it to encase the energy inside her. I pressed my palms against each other tightly, struggling with the force to push my hands apart as the white energy glowed from between.

"Done!" Moira shouted and immediately broke into a pant.

"Everyone, get down!" I shouted to alert everyone. Everyone immediately threw themselves on the floor before I did too. Immediately I let go, her energy burst out of her and spread above us. If we were standing, we would have taken a serious hit.

Athens collapsed on her chair after that. "Well," Max said whimsically while dusting his pants, "easiest way to destroy my expensive dining room," he looked at the mess with a frown. The table had turn to ash and the dishes were barely even dishes. "Carswell, Zimri is paying for this,"

"But my dad did nothing," Al protested.

"Exactly," Max said with a wink and then laughed.

"Dad won't pay for this,"

"I still have his credit card, kid, and I can just kidnap you and ask for ransom," he smirked evilly, wiggling his fingers. Al squeaked and ran around all the way to Carswell to protect him.

"Max, the last time you snuck into Zimri's house and kidnapped his son, you almost gave him a heart attack,"

"Yeah, then he stabbed me with a sacred blade, I almost died!" Maximo squealed. "It was spectacular!" I decided to ignore them and kneel in front of Athens. I gently took her hands in mine and closed my eyes.

Athens stood in a soulless place. She stood on a sea, staring at the mirror in front of her replaying her memories to her one after the other. The sky was dark with not a single star up and not even the moonlight to brighten the night. Yet, the sea luminated the void.

I watched her memories along with her, smiled at the happy ones, cried with her at the sad ones; like the time she lost her mother, how her father died after her mother and how her older brother who was supposed to be the heir died too. He was the belove of a vampire countess but her betrothed killed him due to anger. Yet, she never resented vampires.

There was also the memory of how Asia killed both the countess and her betrothed after Athens found out that she actually knew about his death and was okay with it. Athens never scold her, but never said a word either. I also saw the memory of how they both found Myrtle's charm bracelet in their family treasury. The bracelet was the one who told them about Myrtle and showed them the past. Athens was quick to dismiss the bracelet but the only mistake she made was giving it to Asia to dispose of.