Chapter 14

"Listen up, reprobates! I'm Professor Kento, and I'll be your math teacher this year!" Professor Kento was a no-nonsense type teacher. He had a crew cut and a serious disposition, and yelled everything he said.

"Because you chose to go on journeys instead of getting a proper education, today you will learn the basics. I expect you to have all your times tables memorised by the end of the week. We will learn about fractions, decimals, geometry, algebra, and statistics, and all of you will pass, or face my wrath!" Professor Kento roared at the class.

Ash shrunk back a bit. Professor Kento was... intense. He wanted to look around at Gary and Serena, who were sitting next to him again, but was afraid he'd get yelled at for not paying attention.

"Now, all of you out of your seats! You will arange yourselves by alphabetical order! You have sixty seconds! Go Go GO!" He roared. 

Ash jumped out of his seat, as did everyone else. His name was Ash, so he walked towards the front of the classroom. He quickly deduced he was first (there weren't any Aarons or Alexes in his class) and took the first seat. 

He then turned around and watched the chaos unfolding behind him. Sitting a few seats away from him were Dawn and Drew. Further down were Gary and Gladion, who seemed to be sitting there uncomfortably while Gary assulted him with questions and jokes. The next person Ash recognised was May, who was sitting next to Miette. Paul was a few seats down from them. Serena was sitting next to Shauna. The last face Ash recognised was Tierno.

"Not bad, reprobates! You were 8 seconds faster then my last class!" Kento roared. "Now, to figure out where you stand, you will complete this test." He placed a large pile of thick tests on Ash's desk. "Pass them out!" He demanded. 

Ash took one and passed the stack to Bob, who sat next to him. He looked at the test. It was 5 pages long and filled with questions about things Ash didn't know. 

"Pi ka chu.." Pika chu said, daunted.

"Oh boy..." Ash sweatdropped. "Ya'know what, Pikachu? We'll just try our best!" Ash quietly read the first question aloud. "If y equals x squared plus 4x plus 4, what is the value of x when y=0?"

Ash turned to Pikachu. They both sweatdropped. "I'm doomed." Whispered Ash. He didn't even know what the little signs in front of the answers ment, the little plus signs over minus signs. Since he figured to was better to gues than to not answer at all, he circled x equals plus/minus 2 and moved on to the next question. 

"What is the slope of the line y=3x+12? How is y=3x+12 a line?! Those are just numbers and letters!" He hoplessly circled 3

Ash he continued the test, he understood a couple of pokemon word problems, such as "How many Voltorb could fit into a cube with a volume of 15 square feet if the volume of each Voltorb was 1 square foot and they took up 60% of the space they were stacked in?", but he was ultimately hopless anywhere else, just circling random answers.

"TIme's up, reprobates!" When he finally turned in his test, he saw many other students look crestfallen. This had really hit home how much they had missed in their schooling while they were on their journeys.

Once Professor Kento had looked over the tests, He adressed the class. "Most of you got less than fiftey percent of your answers right! That's a failing grade!" He roared out.

Ash groaned quietly and pet Pikachu.

"...But that's acceptable!" He roared. While he said it angrily, there was a softer edge to it than the other things he had yelled. "This test is for the grade you would normally be in! By the end of the year, you will be able to pass it! Now that you know just how much you'll need to learn, I expect you to study hard! Our next class is Wednessday, so here are your assignments!" He passed out papers with the multiplication tables from 1x1 to 12x12. "I expect you to have from 1x1 to 6x6 memorised by then!" As though he had timed the class perfectly, the bell rang. "Class dismissed!"