Chapter 23

-About 3 hours ago-

It was late Tuesday morning, right before lunch, and Gary had Beginner's Pokemon Coordinating.

The class was made up mostly of boys who had never tried their hand at coordinating before. Gary even overheard some boys who had never even heard of it. But everyone waited for their teacher to come.

When he finally did, he was wearing a 'prim and proper' suit, finished off with a monocole. He spoke with a heavy French accent.

"Welcome, students! I am Professor Harpen. Now, since this is the beginner's class, I'll start off by briefly explaining what a pokemon contest it. Now, pokemon contests..."

Gary zoned out while he explained, since he already knew what pokemon contests were, and instead looked around at his fellow students. There were a few hot girls, a couple of cute ones, too, but what interested Gary the most were the people he already knew.

In the class was Gladion, the emo dude he annoyed in math class yesterday. Tierno, the guy who stood behind Paul that one time. Goh, Ash's weak friend from Project Mew, Chloe, that one girl who sat at their table, and best of all, Paul.

Gary didn't know much about Paul, but he had a pretty good grasp on his type. Kept to himself, cocky, looked down onto others. Gary loved that type; they were so much fun to make fun of. He stealthily inched his way over to Paul.

"Alright, now that you know the basics, I'm going to suprise you. Instead of teaching you about the first round, the appeal stage, I'm going to start us off with the second round, the contest stage. The reason why is because most of you here are battlers rather than performers. This means its easier to transition to a half-battle, half-appealing performance rather than a simple contest routine that you have no experience with. Now that I've explained that, do I have any voulunteers to battle?"

This will be fun. "I will! And I challenge that guy to battle with me!" Gary stepped up and pointed to Paul.

"No." Paul said bluntly. He didn't even look at Gary

Gary saw this coming a mile away. "Why not? Are you scaaaaared?" He said, drawing out the last word in an incredibly annoying way. He popped up behind Paul, who gritted his teeth.

"No. I simply don't think its worth the effort to battle a trainer as weak as you." Paul gave Gary a glare. A glare that would make even the most stoick of men grow afraid. 

Gary acted like he didn't even notice. "Come ooooon. I know the truth! You're just afraid of The Oakster." Gary poked him.

Paul was about to say something that would probably get him in trouble when the teacher stepped in. "I think it's a splendid idea! Boys, take to the battlefield! Now, remember what I told you! Contest battles are different than normal battles. It's not all about power; it's also about showcasing the beauty and elagance of you pokemon!"

The boys took to the opposite sides of the battlefield. Paul did so while growling, a scowl on his face, while Gary did so while making flirtatious finger guns at girls.

"I will be the judge of this battle!" Said Proffesor Harpen. "There will be a five-minute timer! Whoever defeats their opponent's pokemon or has the most points by the time the timer runs out is the winner! Ready, go!"

"Electivire, I choose you!"

"Electivire, huh? Then I choose you! Nidoking!"

"Start off with brick break!"

Electivire ran at Nidoking with a brick break.

Perfect. "Nidoking! Use stone edge in front of you to make a shield!"

"Break through it!"

Electivire used brick break on the stone edge, making it explode into sparkles that floated into the air. Electivire managed to hit Nidoking, but the move didn't cause as much damage since he lost momentum from destroying the stone edge. 

But still, Paul had the first hit, and Gary had failed to defend. Paul felt he was going to win this battle. So when he looked across the field and saw Gary grinning like an idiot, he was confused.

Gary seemed to understand his confusion. "Look at the board, purple-hair." He said with a smug smile.

Paul whipped his not-pink head around to look at the scoreboard. He had lost a quarter of his points, while Gary had only lost an eighth.

"What? Why does he have more points? I landed the hit!" Paul said angerly.

"Well, shorty, it's a Contest battle. It's different than a normal battle. Weren't you paying attention?" Gary said in a mocking tone.

"Gary is right! His pokemon might have taken damage, but it still managed to dodge much of the attack in a charming way!"

Paul scowled and gritted his teeth. "That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. But fine then. Electivire, use thunder!"

Electivire unleashed a thunder on Nidoking, but it simply yawned. 

Gary smirked. "For someone who thinks so highly of himself, you don't know a lot about typings, huh?"

What Gary didn't realise was that the thunder was simply a distraction so that Electivire could get close and-

"Use brick break!"

"Power gem!"

The same thing happened again: Electivire used brick break on the power gem attack, destroying it into beautiful glittering shards, but still landed the attack while looking none the worse for wear. 

So when Paul looked back to the scoreboard, he was outraged. "What! Electivire's taken no damage! How do we have less then half our points?!" He said angerly.

"Well, my dear student, first of all, your thunder attack failed."

"That's because it was a  diversion to hit a more effective brick break!"

"But nevertheless, it failed, and that caused you to lose points. And second, Gary once again found a way to divert your attack while making a wonderful spectacle!"

Gary smirked at Paul. "That's because I'm better than you." He said factually.

Paul gritted his teeth. This. Made. No. Sense. He was clearly winning!

"Urgh! Electivire, brick break!"

"Again? Time to go on the offesive, Nidoking! Use sludge wave and power gem!"

"Use protect!" Paul said. 

Electivire defended itself from a wave if shimering poison, the combination of the power gem and sludge wave making a shining purple sluge that coated the battle feild and made the audience ooh and ahh.

Once the wave chrashed on the ground, Electivire released its protect only to hear, "The battle is over! The winner is Gary!"

"WHAT!!!" Paul yelled in shock as he looked to the bars. Electivire had lost more than Nidoking and the timer had run out.

"Electivire didn't take any damage. How. Did he. Win?" Paul said dangerously.

"Well, his last move might have failed, but it was so stunning I didn't take away as many points as I might have. And because the five-minute timer ran out, and Gary here had the most points, he's the winner!" Professor Harpen said happily.

Gary struck a pose. "And to think, Ash called you a strong trainer. What's that you like to say? Pathetic." And with that, Gary walked to the rest of the students, specifically by the ladies.

Paul simply scoffed and walked towards the back of the class.