Chapter 51

Ash quickly returned to his dorm. He still had to figure out how to ask Serena to the dance, and Friday was quickly closing in. He paced around for a few seconds. Should I wait until tonight, ask her on a walk, then ask her to the dance under the stars like last week? Should I ask her on a walk now and hand her a flower at sunset? Where can I get a flower? Oh, I bet I can ask Drew! But that still leaves-

"Ashy-Boy!" Ash turned to the door, only to see it open and no one there. He looked around in confusion before finding Gary chilling on the couch, pokephone in hand.

"How did you-"

"Have you figured out how to ask Serena to the dance yet?" Gary pressed.

"No, not yet. I'm going to ask Drew for a rose and hand it to her when I ask, but that's all I got." Ash disclosed.

"Well, it's a good start. If I were you, I'd-" Gary stopped himself.

"Why'd you stop?" Ash asked. He desperately needed help on this one.

"Because you need to figure this one out on your own." Gary said wisely.

"Huh? Why! I don't' know how to do this sort of thing!" Ash said frantically. 

"Exactly! You need practice. You two should have at least one date that's not set up by me." 

"But-I-er-how-ughn.." Ash sat on the couch by Gary. This had been a very unhelpful conversation.

"Come on, you must know something about what Serena likes." Gary insisted. "You travelled with her for 6 months!"

"Hmm, what would be a good place to invite Serena to to ask her to the dance? Somwhere she would like... I've got it!" He said excitedly.

"Atta boy, Ashy-boy!" Gary cheered enthusaistically.

Ash grabbed his bag and ran out the door.

---***---***---***---

He had to set this up fast. He had a plan, but it would take a while to figure everything out, and the dance was tomorrow. Why did Gary insist I go on a date yesterday instead of set this up?!!

He ran to the pokemon center and after a quick "Hi, Nurse Joy!" he ran to the wall filled with computers to call a friend.

After a few rings, it picked up.

"Ash? Is that you?"

"Hi Clemont!" Ash said excitedly. It had been more than a year since he had last seen the lemon-hair inventor. 

"Ash! It's so good to see you! How have you been?"

"I've been great! How are you and Bonnie doing?"

"We've been doing well! Bonnie and Dedenne have been training a lot together, and she can't wait for her tenth birthday next year!"

"That's awesome! Any new challengers?"

"Yeah! I actually battled three trainers today!"

"Did any of them get the badge?"

"Nope, my big brother beat all of them!"

A short lemon-hair girl appeared on screen beside her big brother.

"Hi, Bonnie!" Ash said happily.

"Hi Ash! Where are you?" asked the vivicious young girl.

"That's actually why I'm calling. You know that school that just opened in Lumiose city? K.I.P.?"

"Yeah! We can see it from the top of our gym!" Bonnie said excitedly. She had quickly taken over the conversation from her brother.

"Well guess what?" Ash grinned on the screen.