Chapter 54

Classes on Friday were hectic.

Not even the teachers were focused on class; everyone was talking about the dance. During English, Math, and Advanced pokemon studies, the classes he had that day, everyone was talking about the dance. 

"Did you hear about Jenna? Ryan asked her to go to the dance with him!"

"No way! Good for her!"

"Are you going with anyone?"

"Nah, I'm flying solo."

"Did you know that Trina's going with Gary?" When Ash heard this one in English class, he glanced to Gary, who was flirting with Trina as she laughed.

"How did Trina manage to snag that?"

"What about..." Ash tuned them all out to try and focus on the lesson, but even the teacher had the dance on his mind. 

"Welcome, class! I know we're all excited for the dance, but let's focus on our lesson. Today, we'll be dancing the next chapter of-"

Only when the entire class laughed heartily at him did he realise his mistake. "Oops, I mean reading, we'll be reading the next chapter of The Three Muskratts..."

The rest of the class went quickly since no one got any work done. But when Ash headed into the halway to head to math, it was even crazier.

He usually walked to math with Serena or Gary, but once he stepped out the door all chaos unfolded. 

He couldn't hear his own footsteps, let alone a concerened Pikachu on his shoulder. Everywhere he turned, people (mostly girls) were conversing about the dance while others (mostly boys) tried to wriggle their way down the hallway while covering their ears. 

Ash fell into the latter category, keeping his hands over Pikachu's ears as they wandered through the hallway. He saw three guys and a girl asking their classmates to the dance, and saw two girls and a guy say yes. He smiled. He was glad they (or at least, most of them; one of the boys walked away with his head down in depression) had found dates.

He finally settled into his seat in math, sighing in relief. Professor Kento wouldn't let anyone goof off or chatt about the dance during class hours...right?

"Listen up, Reprobates!" He shouted loudly once the bell rang. Everyone straightened in their seats at his voice. "Today, we were supposed to go over long multiplication."

Many students nodded. That was, in fact, what they were supposed to do today, according to what he said Wednessday.

"However, in light of tonight's special event, I will allow you to work on the worksheet in pairs."

Though he didn't say it, it was heavily implied. You can sit next to your date.

The entire class was quiet for a moment, then shouting ensued. People re-arranged themselves, widly, to sit next to the person they wanted. 

Ash tried to find Serena in the hubub, but the classroom was so loud, he couldn't even hear Pikachu on his shoulder.

After a few minutes, it calmed down considerably, though Professor Kento's anger levels noticably raised. Ash was able to make eye contact with Serena, and she sat in the seat next to him. Together they worked on long multiplication, smiling at each other the whole time while thinkng about the dance.

Last was advanced pokemon studies. Nothing special happened this class, besides how he learned about the Galaran form of the Zigazoon line, something he didn't know about before.