Chapter 19

The next morning, Ash's first class was Intermediate Pokemon Catching. As he walked down the hall, he had some doubts about this class. Why do I need pokemon-catching basics again? I already konw how to catch pokemon. I've caught lots of pokemon. What else is there?

But when he entered the classroom, and looked at the whiteboard, he realised how much he really needed to learn.

"If you'll avert you attention to the whiteboard, students, you will see every single type of pokball ever created thus far. By the end of the year, you will have memorised every single on of them and what they do. But don't worry, today we'll only go over the first three." The teacher, who turned out to be Professor Littleran, seeed kind but firm, and she dressed quite neatly. 

She erased the monstrous amount of pokeballs on the whiteboard and instead drew three pokeballs while getting an item from her desk."Everyone, please take notes. This is a normal pokeball." She gestured to the enlarged version on the whiteboard as the object in her hand, ehich turned out to be a normal pokeball. "Everyone here should be familiar with it. You already know what it does; you throw it at a wild pokemon after battling it and it has a chance of catching it." 

She got another item from her desk and gestured to the next pokeball on the whiteboard. "This is a great ball. It is much like a pokeball, but has a better chance of catching a pokemon when you throw it. So if you threw a great ball and a pokeball at the same pokemon, the great ball has a better chance of actually catching it. However, it costs more to manufacture and buy, so make sure you know you'll be able to catch it when you throw it." 

She grabbed the last pokeball from her deask and gestured to it on the board. "This is an ultra ball. It is much like a great ball, but even more powerful. It has the highest catch rate of these three pokeballs, and is quite good at catching pokemon when you throw it at them. However, these balls are quite expensive, and you must be careful throwing it at a pokemon you have a low chance of catching."

Ash carefully drew the pokeballs. He already had heard about and seen great and ultra balls, but didn't know exactly what they did until now. Gary, who was sitting to his right, seemed to already know about these, and didn't even bother taking notes. Serena, who was on his left again, seemed to be drawing exact copies of the balls, down to the reflection of sun in the corner. Those were all the desks he could see without craning his neck uncomforably, so he settled down until everyone had finished drawing the pokeballs and the bell rang.

Ash, Serena, May, and Drew walked over to the next class; Intermediate Pokemon Studies. They all took seats next to each other this time, sitting in the front row Ash, Serena, May, and Drew. When they arrived, the teacher wasn't there, so they all patiently waited in their seats.

Suddenly, a frantic man ran into the classroom and starting a ruckus. "Someone help! This Goomy is sick! What do I do?" The man held what looked like a goomy in his arms, though it was hard to tell because he was literally running around the classroom frantically.

"Here, let me see!" said Ash. He had a suspicion he knew what was happening. The frantic man seemed reluctant to let the goomy go, but handed it over to Ash, who then rushed to the sink in the back of the classroom and filled it with water. 

He looked at the goomy to see if it was better, but was suprised to see-

"Well done, Ash!" He turned back to the man who had been frantically running around the classroom with goomy a few moments ago. He had managed to straighten himself out considerably in the few seconds Ash had been turned to the sink, his once wild lab coat neatly creased and buttoned, and apparently he had been wearing a wig, as he took it off to show he was actually an able young man.

"Huh?" Ash said, confused. "What do you mean? And why was this Goomy a fake?" Ash liften the 'Goomy' out of the water in the sink to show that it was just a toy. The class gasped in suprise.

"Because I wanted to test the class. Anyone who's read Goomy's pokedex entry or studied Goomy would know that its skin needs to be wet or else it can't breathe, so I wanted to figure out who knew that. Though I wasn't expecting you to be so hands-on, Ash. I though you would sipmply say 'it needs water' or something like that. You're certainly a take-charge kind of boy. You were so certain of what you knew that you dunked a sick pokemon into the sink. Perhaps you should be bumped up to Advanced pokemon studies. I'll contact Professor Sycamore at the end of the class."

Ash just grinned sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head, and went back to his seat.

The man walked to the front of the class. "I am Professor Clamton, and I will be your teacher for intermediate pokemon studies. Except you, Ash." The professor winked. "This year, we will learn all about pokemon, their typings, sizes, and other facts about them."

The professor went on to talk to the class about Goomy and the Goomy line, all of which Ash already knew since he raised Goodra. 

After the bell rang, Ash walked alone to his last class before lunch; Intermediate Pokemon Coordinating. This class wasn't in a classroom, but at the practice battlefields that were between the dorms. As he headed there, Pikachu on his shoulder, he scanned the other teens in his class. He didn't recognise anyone, which made sense because all his friends who were girls and Drew were in advanced pokemon coordinating, while all his friends who were boys besides Drew where in Beginner's Pokemon Coordinating, meaning he didn't know anyone in this class. He did note, though, that most of the class were girls

"Hellooo, students!" Ash turned his attention to a lady who appeared to be around 50 and who had a rather obnoxious British accent. She wore a maroon skirt and jacket, which was buttoned at her waist. On hear head sat a large maroon sun hat with a floral frontal piece on top of her white hair. She walked to the front of the battlefield and adressed the class. "I am Prrrofessor Prrimrose, and I will be teaching allllll about Pokemon cooordinating." 

She reached into a small purse on her hip and pulled out a pokeball. "Do come on out, Prrimarina!" She gently threw the pokeball into the air and out came a Primarina. Many of the students 'oohed' and 'aaahed' at the elegant Alolan starter. 

"Now, most of you are pokemon performerrrs who are in intermediate cooordinating because the two are quuite similarr..."

That would explain why most of the class are girls, Ash thought.

"...And some of you simply alllrready have some experience with cooordinating. But nevertheless, here you will learn alllllll about cooordinating. To start off, Prrrrimarina and I shall show you a performace we crrreated for the apppeal stag in a pokemon contest!"

"Allright, Primarina, uuuse light screen!" Primarina created multiple walls of light, but spun while doing so, so that instead of there being five rows of light screen in front of it, there ware five that encased Primarina in a beautiful, sparkling pentagon. Professor Primrose did a spin. "Now use sparrkling arrria!" Primarina let loose many bubbles while singing beautifully. Soon, most of the feild was covered in bubbles. "Now, ice beam!" Primarina used ice beam through th elight screen , refracting it into multiple smaller ice beams. Each small ice beam hit a bubble, freezing it in midair and making it fall to the ground and shatter while the light screen exploded and Primarina sung, creating a dazzling spectacle.

Everyone cheered while Professor Primrose and Primarina bowed. "Now that you have a good idea of what to look for a performance appeal stage, let's get started!" She returned Primarina to her pokeball. 

"Let's start by thinking about the movesets of your pokemon. What moves can create a beaaautiful show while still being crreative and orrriginal?"

Ash thought about this for a moment. Hmm, Dracovish's moves wouldn't be great for a contest. Dragonite might like contests, and Draco meteor would be an interesting move to use. I don't think Sirfetche'd would appreciate being in a contest. Lucario's aura sphere and bone rush would be interesting to use. Pikachu's thunderbolt too. Gengar knows a lot of differenet moves, but they would be hard to combine.

"Now, send out yourr pokemon of choice!"

Ash tightened his hat as he threw out a pokeball. "Alright then, I choose you!"