Chapter 12: Preliminaries

Many of the teams finished on the last day. By the end, Sasuke and his team were the last to make it before the time limit, making it 24 people, or 8 teams in total who made it. Most everyone had some type of injuries. Out of the first three teams finished, only Lee was really injured because of his lone wolf mission. The rest of us were in good condition, only minor scratches from branches or mild hits taken. The last teams to finish looked like hell. I slipped Sasuke my final recovery pill. It was only a small one, but I knew he would need it in a moment. He eyed me skeptically, but when he saw the look in my eyes, he didn't question it and just ate it. I watched him perk up a little bit, but the curse mark was still draining him.

The Hokage gathered us and gave us a speech about friendship and the purpose of the exams. Then a new proctor appeared, Hayate Gekko, and stated that we would be doing preliminary battles. Hayate kept sounding like he was going to die from his cough, and I was very concerned for him. Something in my memory was clicking in, I think he dies soon. I don't remember how specifically, so I'm not sure how to prevent it. I want to say it happens the night that Gaara kills Dosu, but I don't think Gaara did it. 

I thought Kabuto would withdraw when Hayate offered, like he did in the show, but he didn't. This caught my attention as suspicious, but I worked hard not to show it. We all made our way to upper viewing platforms after Sasuke is called first to fight against one of Kabuto's teammates, Yoroi.

I stood with my team and watched solemnly as Sasuke had to fight without using any chakra, against an opponent who absorbs chakra. I glance at Lee, this would have been easy for him, but not Sasuke. He eventually gets a rhythm going, and even channeled Lee's techniques into his fight. I watched though as his curse activated in the middle of his attack.

"Sasuke!" I called out firmly in a warning voice. It might have helped, because his mark receded again and he finished his Lion's Barrage attack. I watched Lee get incredibly jealous over Sasuke copying his move from my side. Sasuke won his fight, but just barely. I could feel someone's eyes on me, and glanced to my side and then the other, and noticed it was Kakashi watching me skeptically. If that becomes an issue, I'll deal with it later. For now, he went to go seal Sasuke's curse.

"Why are you always talking to Sasuke?" I hear a whiny voice say from my side. I turn slightly to look out of the corner of my eye at Sakura.

"Try again." I say patiently. I don't like fan girls, so my tolerance with them are limited. I hear Neji sigh out.

"Try what again?" She asks confused.

"Your introduction." I say simply, still not looking at her.

I hear her grinding her teeth, "I'm Sakura Haruna, Sasuke's teammate. Why are you always talking to him?"

"Hello Sakura. I am an old friend." I say simply, not elaborating further.

"Well you just stay away from him. He's mine." She says stubbornly.

I turn to her and give her a sweet smile and tilt my head slightly. "Down girl. No need to pee on him. Now go sit, stay, the next match is starting." I smirk as Shino and Zaku get called up to fight. Sakura yells out then stomps off to Naruto's side.

"What was that about making friends?" Neji teased me in a whisper.

I rolled my eyes, "I hate fangirls. When she grows up I'll be her friend." I tell him simply.

I move my attention down to the match. Shino uses his bugs to defeat Zaku in the creepiest way. I shiver at the thought of having bugs crawl inside my own skin, I barely tolerate when one lands on my skin. He made it so the bugs crawled out of Zaku's arm. Lee was confused how it happened, and as Neji looked at Zaku with his activated eye, I informed them.