Chapter 39: Journey to War

As the forces were being assembled, I sent out a final message to Sasuke via Haitaka. He had sent one to me a few weeks ago, saying he was getting Itachi's eyes implanted to replace his own. It's still such an odd concept that eyes can be swapped out so easily here in this world, but apparently he would be recovered in time for the war when it starts. Obito has left him in the care of a White Zetsu for now.

'Sasuke, use the black scroll only AFTER Kabuto has released the reanimation jutsu. You will have only a short moment to save Itachi, use that window before his soul leaves. Give him a second chance at life, I have already gotten him cleared of all charges in Konoha. He will return a hero, just like you. Stay safe, Sasuke. Ami.' I write down in a scroll, attaching it to Haitaka's leg.

"Haitaka..." I start to say softly to the hawk before he leaves. "I may not see you again. There is a war starting tomorrow. Please, just make sure Sasuke gets this, and that he doesn't try to use the black scroll before Itachi confronts Kabuto. Peck him hard if he tries to use it before if you have to, just do what is takes to make him delay and use the scroll after the reanimation is released. Thank you for being our messenger all this time, you have done a great job."

"I'm sure we will see each other again, Miss Ami. Stay safe in this war, for Master Sasuke. And leave the message to me, it will be delivered to Master Sasuke." He tells me with a solemn nod, and disappears out the window, off to deliver the message.

All possible preparations have been made for the start of the war by now. We leave out tomorrow in the morning for the Land of Lightning, where the war will take place along its border. Originally, the Kage were only going to evacuate the immediate 50 kilometers of the war zone, but after my warnings to Tsunade about the tailed beast bombs, they changed it to the nearest 200 kilometers. All the civilians were evacuated south to the Land of Fire. 

Unfortunately, headquarters for the war needed to be in a location that was closer in order to relay messages. However, Tsunade helped put in a fail safe for a quick departure of those there. A team of specialists in sealing jutsu's will create a barrier perimeter around the headquarters and will be able to transport everyone away in an instant. It's similar to a summoning jutsu, but because of the volume of how many need to be transported, it will take a whole team of twelve shinobi to send them all off, themselves included.

The specialists coordinating the different platoons created passwords for each platoon division, that way they can help identify if an enemy is within our ranks. It might work for a bit when the White Zetsu try to impersonate us, it might not, but at least it's a plan. We couldn't think of a way to mark everyone, and since only a Hyuga would be able to spot them, it didn't serve much purpose since there were so few of us.

After the message was sent, I went to the Nara compound. I greet Shikaku at the door as he is on his way out.

"Hello, Shikaku. Is Shikamaru in?" I ask him as he gives me a curious expression.

"He's in his usual spot, head on in." He says, moving aside to allow me entrance. "And Ami... Don't hold back this time." He gives me a knowing look, and walks away. I smirk at him, then I walk into Shikamaru's room, finding him on his porch, playing shogi.

"Have time for a match?" I ask by way of greeting as I walk up to him. He looks up at me lazily, a small smirk forming on his face.

"At least you aren't my dad, so I can win. I still can't beat him." He says lazily to me.

"You saying your victory is guaranteed against me? I could still surprise you." I say with mock offense as I take my seat across from him. He resets the board to start a new game against me.