Chapter 1: Life

I felt the darkness around me start to squeeze more as I was contemplating my past. More and more it squeezed, until suddenly I felt it moving me, flipping me around as it pressed even tighter. The pain was growing with every second, until finally I saw a light and prayed it would lead to the end of the pain. The darkness pushed me in that direction quickly, and very abruptly I was shot out into it. I screamed out in pain once I found I had a voice again, only the sound that left me wasn't my voice. It was a cry, a babies cry.

I cried for a moment longer, growing rapidly more disoriented by each passing second. Everything around me looked wrong. I was not in a real world at all anymore, everything was like an animation. The colors were too vibrant, too bright after coming from the darkness. I tried to block the light with my arms, but as I brought them up, they weren't adult arms anymore. I was not an adult anymore. I was the baby making the crying sound I heard. I heard other people around me as someone held me, cleaning off my now tiny body. They weren't speaking English, that much was obvious, but they were talking too fast for me to figure out what language it was.

I tried again to focus on my surroundings, calming down enough after the initial shock. Death did say I would be 'reborn' into a realm, I just didn't think they meant that literally. I was wrapped up by what I can only assume was a nurse and placed next to another tiny baby, one who clearly had also just been born. We laid there together in the little crib for a moment before a nurse came and put us both into a man's arms. I looked up at this man, and could only stare in recognition and shock. I knew this man. But this couldn't be real, this guy is a character in an anime, he's not real.

The man looked at both of us babies warmly with a smile, and said something in what I was able to identify as Japanese. I think he was greeting us, but the main things I picked up out of what he was saying was our names.

"Neji Hyuga and Ami Hyuga." He says to us.

I try desperately to turn my head enough to look again at the other baby. Neji Hyuga, another character from the Naruto show. I must be in that show, in that realm. I feel myself begin to panic, to think back on everything that Death had said to me. A realm, created from my memories. I had watched the show a few times in my life, among many other shows, but it was one of my favorites. I always liked the shows about fighting, like Naruto, Dragon ball Z, My Hero Academia. And now here I am, seemingly inside the show. As I am realizing this, I can feel little whimpers leaving my mouth as my face is scrunched up in overwhelming emotions. I start to cry again, too overcome with all the change to try and hold it in, and notice that when I start crying, baby Neji cries as well. The man holding us tries to console us and calm us down, but a female voice calls out to get his attention. The man, our father I believe, passes us gently to an exhausted and sweating woman in the hospital bed who must be our mother.

Our mother, a strange concept to think about, holds us both and gets us to stop crying. I feel an overwhelming feeling of love coming from her, and it makes me calm down. I look up at her as she smiles and speaks more in Japanese. It seems I will need to learn the language if I am to grow up and live here. After a few minutes of the woman holding us, her grip starts to loosen on my body. Her face starts to slacken, and then suddenly she cries out in pain.

A nurse quickly takes both us babies out of her arms, and we are brought out of the room as we hear the woman screaming. Neji and I both start screaming too, I am concerned for the woman, she's in pain. My little body can't handle emotions very well, so I find myself crying much more easily than I ever used to. Neji and I both keep crying for a while as we are placed into a separate room together in a crib. His little hand reaches out to me, and I grab it to comfort both him and me. I may not know entirely what's going on, but I do know that as of now, Neji here is my twin brother. He must have been born just before me, making him the older twin.

After several hours of being in the room, only being checked on by the nurse a couple times, our father walks in. He looks devastated. I start to fear the worst for our new mother. I never knew about Neji's mother from the story, only about his father. Our father now.

I'm not sure what he is saying, but I pick up the words 'mother' and 'God', and can only assume as he picks us up and holds up both tightly that our mother just passed away. Barely even a few hours into my brand new life, and I have already lost someone. Someone I inexplicably cared about deeply without ever having met. I start to cry yet again as that feeling comes over me, starting at the exact same time as Neji does, and look up through bleary eyes and see that our father is also crying as he holds us both desperately.

This is a very devastating start to our life, and to my new life. My second-chance life already has darkness in it. Death is expecting my soul to grow, to get stronger here, yet I already feel a blow to that chance.

But I was not reborn into this world, of all places, to not lose people. Many people die in the story line. Too many people die in it. I calm my crying down and look to my new brother, who had one of the saddest deaths in the entire show. I know, with a passion that is building by the second, that his death is something that I cannot live through. I lost my new mother only moments after meeting her, but I will not lose my new twin brother. He will not face the same fate, not while I am around.

I already can feel that Neji here will be not only my brother, but my very best friend as he reaches out his hand for me again. Death resurrected me to learn a lesson, to learn friendship. Neji here will be first step in that lesson.

A/N: Hi readers! Please vote on the chapters and feel free to comment, I enjoy seeing your reactions! Thanks for reading!