Chapter 30: Ningame

The next two weeks went by much the same, with different friends visiting me at my 'death bed' as Sai continued to call it. He and I got close, I can tell that he likes when I explain why certain actions are bad and others are good. It's weird teaching someone how to be a 'human', but then again, when I came to this world I really wasn't that much better off than him. I've grown to look forward to his visits the most, especially when he brings his art supplies for us. It amuses him greatly that I am absolutely terrible at art. He tried to nickname me 'Incompetent' at one point, and while his reasoning for the name was valid, I still threw a knife at him and impaled him. He hasn't tried to nickname me again since then.

Naruto had visited again one day asking for advise on wind training. I unashamedly faked sleeping when he came in, forcing him to go to Asuma for training. Neji was with me at the time, and being the amazing brother he is, also kicked Naruto out and didn't let him 'wake me up.'

Shirotsu ironically brought me the best gift I got in the hospital. He brought me a book on the origin of the village. It was a fascinating read, and even covered the original founding clans. There was useful information in it about Madara as well, stuff that I couldn't remember from the show. He also brought me the best snacks since that's our thing we usually do together, tea and snacks.

Neji had confronted me when I was safely released from the hospital and allowed to go back home. "Ok, we're home now, it's just you and me." He says as soon as I'm seated in our living room. "Are you going to explain what happened at the hideout? With Sasuke?"

I sigh, I should have figured he was watching back then. "You know, sometimes our Byakugan is a pain. Did you really have to be a clan genius?" I ask, trying to deflect. He just hardens his stare at me further. "Fine. Yes, I transported in to see him." I begrudgingly admit. "I had to know... I had to know if my words to him years ago had reached him. I was the last person to see him, I was the one who let him leave, I had to know if it was worth it."

"And was it?" He asks softly. "I saw you hug him, and I saw him kiss you. Ami, why didn't you tell me you two were more than friends?"

"There wasn't much to tell." I admit softly, "We were kids when he left, his kiss meant very little to me back then, and I had refused to hear his confession. At the hideout, I simply hugged my best friend after almost three years of not seeing him, and he kissed my cheek, that's all. But I told him the same thing I told him that day he left, I won't hear his confession until he's back home, back to Konoha." I say stubbornly yet sadly. "But that's not important right now, what is important is what he did say." I change my tone, getting happy and excited. "He's going to basically be my secret spy. He was already planning on killing Orochimaru soon himself, we may have just beat him to the punch. And he's going to infiltrate the Akatsuki." I finish in a whisper.

"What?!" He whisper yells back to me. "He said all this to you?"

"Yes, Nii-san." I confirm with a genuine grin. "I could see it, in his eyes. There is light in there again. He learned who his real enemy is, and wants to correct many broken things in this village, just like we want to do with the Hyuga clan. He has a goal, and he's working towards it, it's just not something that can be accomplished from inside the village. You can't fool our eyes, Neji, and I could see him, plain and clear, he's not as lost as he had been when he left. There's still a darkness, don't misunderstand me, I'm not oblivious to it, but it's less. That's all I can ask for my friend, that he not be lost, alone and drowning in the dark and the hate. We were there, it's not a good place to be." I finish sadly and Neji grabs my hand gently and squeezes it.

"It is because he has you to help guide him back home, Ami. I think you are his light." Neji says to me, and I raise my brow to him in surprise. "Don't think for five seconds I approve, but I understand." He covers himself and I giggle at the 'big brother' act coming on.