Chapter 34: Konoha Saved

~ Ami POV ~

"The White Reaper." Pain says to me after I transported in front of Kakashi, using my Shinigami mark I have on his body. I blocked the nail with my scythe that would have killed him. "You have been troublesome. Not just today, either."

I smirk, pulling my necklace out of my clothes to show to him my trophies. On the necklace is the five Akatsuki rings I collected so far. "Whatever could you mean?" I ask innocently, taunting him. "Are you mad I've been destroying your precious Akatsuki, one by one?" I sneer arrogantly, then turn to a darker edge, "Or are you mad that your attack is failing now, crumbling all your hopes and dreams for world domination?"

"You are arrogant. Your arrogance will cause your death. Now, know pain." Deva Pain says to me, reaching his arms out. I quickly channel chakra into my feet, stopping his pull from making me go to him. "You even know this. Tell me, how is it you know my techniques." He orders monotonously, masking his frustration that his attack didn't work.

"I'll tell you how, just as soon as you tell me where your real body is," I say, moving in for an attack at full speed once he stops his pull, getting right up behind him in an instant, "Nagato." I growl out lowly, further taunting him that we know everything about him. 

I go to strike him, and also to place my marker on his body, just in case. The Naraka Pain joins in the fight as well, and it's too much for me alone, but the whole squad of Jonin are already down. We fight for several minutes, him getting the advantage in strength while I use my speed and my scythe where I can. I kept the scythe out because it is very useful for countering and blocking his physical attacks, and for keeping the Naraka Path away from me.

"You knowing makes no difference, you will still fall today. Your efforts are meaningless. Everything is meaningless in the face of overwhelming power." Deva Pain says, then traps me in his pull, bringing me into his grasp. He holds me by my throat and I can't move because of his technique.

"You'll... still lose..." I choke out to him feebly, struggling to breath. He just hands me off to the Naraka Path, who then grips me by the throat instead. I can see the weird soul eating creature behind him appearing out of the ground as the Deva Pain leaves to go towards the Hokage tower.

"Tell me, where is Naruto Uzumaki?" Naraka Pain asks me as he holds me by my throat and I start to choke.

"Go to hell." I spit out at him in rage. I start to gag more, feeling like I'm going to vomit, when suddenly my tongue enlarges impossibly and starts to stretch out of my mouth, only there's something odd about it. My tongue, no... my soul has got holes in it, and it only reaches about a foot out of my mouth instead of how it was in the show when other's had their soul's held by this Pain.

"Your soul... There is something wrong with it. It's like you're not even human." Naraka Pain says, the statue reaching out further to grab my short soul. "No matter, it will still be mine. Now tell me, where is Naruto Uzumaki?" 

I start to panic, my soul isn't complete or normal at all, I don't know what will happen to me if I get trapped in there. I try to channel any amount of chakra I can into my one free hand, the Naraka Pain gripping tightly to the other one to prevent me from attacking. I take my free hand and try to use Gentle Fist, to cut off his chakra points, but it's not working, I can't reach enough points to loosen his grip. He isn't feeling the pain from it, and technically isn't using any chakra in that arm to hold me up.

"Fang over Fang!" I hear the sweetest sound in the world at that moment as Kiba and Akamaru appear and attack the Naraka Pain, getting him off me before the soul tongue stealer could cut my soul away. I fall to the ground coughing and gagging as Kiba goes in to attack again, this time his mom also joining in.