Chapter 38: Birthday, Part 2

Neji and I thank everyone for coming at the end of the night when the shop closes up. We all part ways, each heading to their own homes before I hear my name being called from behind me.

"Ami, please wait a moment." Sakura calls out to me, and Neji and I pause and turn to her. Neji nods to her in parting, and says he'll give us a moment and waits down the road for me.

"What is it, Sakura?" I ask curiously.

"It's about... it's about him." She says pointedly, and my eyes widen slightly in recognition, she means Sasuke.

"What about him?" I ask her with a slight edge, not comfortable openly discussing him in the streets.

"I... The other day made me realize something. When I saw..." She trails off, and I know she means the kiss. "I didn't feel as sad as I thought I would. He looked so happy in that moment, I don't even know if you noticed his smile when he turned, but I saw it. I could never make him smile like that. So... I want you to know that I'm happy for you, and that I hope it works. Just please, treat him well for me, ok?" She asks sincerely of me.

At first I was going to argue that Sasuke and I weren't together, that we never had that discussion, but I take a good look at the face she is making. She is putting all her faith in me right now, and is closing the chapter in her heart on her love for him. I match her gaze, and nod firmly at her. "I will do my best, Sakura. You have my word."

"Thank you, Ami." She bows respectfully to me, and I return the gesture.

"Sakura." I call out to her before she turns to leave. "I must also request the same of you. Please, he is one of the best people I know, treat him well." I request of her seriously.

"Who?" She asks in confusion.

I look pointedly at her, "You know who, Sakura. He has fought for you for years. He cares very deeply for you, please don't break his heart." I plead softly, hoping she won't break Lee's heart.

She blushes for a moment, speechless. Then she also nods firmly, "It took me a while, but I'm beginning to see that. I think it's why seeing him with you didn't hurt me at all, because my heart was already moving on."

I grin at her, and we bow again to one another. I make my way over to my patiently waiting brother, who is handling his alcohol a little worse than I am at this point.

"What was that all about, little sis?" He asks with a slight slur, throwing his arm over my shoulder and leaning heavily on me.

"Passing a torch." I say vaguely, then he adds more weight onto my shoulders. "You're heavy."

"Oh come on, give me more details than that! I bet it was about," He says loudly, then goes right next to my ear to whisper not very quietly, "Sasuke." He honestly giggles from that and I just look up in horror at him. He's a gossiping drunk! I never would have guessed it.

"Let's get you home, Nii-san. You need to sleep this off." I grip him tightly, and increase our walking speed. I don't trust myself enough right now to transport since the sake was fairly strong.

"I still won't let you marry him, nope, not gonna happen. He has to beat me in a fight if he wants to marry you. So do all the other guys who like you, they all have to fight me, all together at the same time. I can take 'em, just you watch." He drunkenly says, getting lost in his own world and throwing punches into the air sloppily.

"Fine, fine. You battle the boys, but all the girls who like you have to beat me in a fight." I say back to him casually and he stops dead in his tracks, slipping off my shoulders but remaining standing.