Chapter 19: Retrieval

A few short days pass between Sasuke waking up and my being called into the Hokage office on an urgent matter. I'm with Neji and Lee at the hospital when the Hokage's messenger comes to get me. Lee had just told us how he is going to get the surgery done today, and we were wishing him luck. When I got the summons, I shot Neji a look and sped out of the room. I make it to the tower at the same time as Shikamaru.

Tsunade tells us about how Sasuke left the village, and that we have 30 minutes to gather a team of genin to retrieve him. We are both captains on the mission. We split up to gather recruits, him going to get Naruto and Choji, me to get my own recruits. I told him that if he runs into my brother or Kiba to grab them too. I have someone specific in mind to bring with.

"There's an urgent mission leaving immediately. Are you available to join? This is an A rank mission." I tell the bug user when I arrive at the Aburame compound. It took all of my nerve to walk in here, there's literally bugs everywhere.

"When do we leave?" Shino asks me seriously.

"Right now." I tell him firmly. He nods in response. "Thank you Shino. Meet at the gate in 15 minutes, we'll leave at once. If you find Shirotsu, bring him too." I actually came here for Shirotsu mainly, but seeing Shino was a golden opportunity I couldn't pass up.

"He's on a mission already, I'm the only one here." He informs me. Oh well, worth a shot. At least I got an extra person.

I already have my scrolls ready and waiting on me for no matter what happens. I'm hoping things will change on this mission with Shino and I here. I head towards the gate, not finding anyone else to join in. When time is up, we all gather. We have the original mission crew members, plus myself and Shino.

"Shikamaru, lets decide on a quick arrangement. Use your big brain, place us in order." I ask of him and he nods, quickly drawing out a plan.

"In front, our two best seekers. Ami, your Byakugan can see the farthest, and Kiba, your sense of smell can alert us of hidden traps. Both of you know these forests better than anyone, so you can lead the group most effectively. Next will be me, so I can relay anything they see to the rest. Naruto, you take center since your clones can spread out quickly to help in any direction. Choji and Shino, you are behind him, Choji protecting from the left with his strength and Shino on the right with his insects. Neji, you take up the back, use your Byakugan to cover everything behind us. Let's move out." Shika tells us all firmly. I nod, and we move out quickly after Sakura and Lee bid us goodbye, Naruto making his sacred vow to Sakura.

We come across first the group of Konoha Jonin who got injured already. The group includes Shizune, Hayate, and Genma, who give us intel about the enemies. I use my eyes and locate the enemies, they are resting and weak after the fight, about four kilometers away. Shikamaru and I devise a trap on how to catch them. I wish I remembered specifics from this part of the story, but sadly I don't so I have to rely on what I do know and what I know of my team.

When we finally get to the Sound Four, we think we have them caught in an attack. Unfortunately, Jirobo catches everyone in his Earth dome.

"This dome," Shino says after only a few seconds, "I can feel it, it's draining our chakra. It's just like my insects." I activate my Byakugan, but I can't see outside of the dome at all.

"Ok, let's make a plan, and fast." I turn to Shikamaru first, "Shika, get him talking. We need to find out his location from outside the dome." I turn next to Neji, "Nii-san, use your eyes to follow the flow of chakra, find a weak point in the dome." I turn next to Choji and Kiba, "You two are the heavy hitters, once Neji finds the weak spot, you two attack it together." I turn to Naruto and Shino next, "The rest of us, stay out of their way and conserve energy, if this is draining our chakra, we need to limit our exertions, it is only going to make the enemy stronger." I say, and Naruto immediately starts to complain. "Naruto, sit down and shut up, let the rest work!" I yell at him fiercely and he does just that, eyeing me fearfully. Everyone starts to work on their parts of the plan, and fairly soon, we are out of the dome when Choji expands and breaks it.