Chapter 44: Gone

~ Neji POV ~

"Ami..." I hug my sister's body tightly in my arms, then lay her down to rest and gently kiss her head after she closes her eyes.

"Ami!" Sasuke appears suddenly on the battlefield and sees her, running to her side. "No!" He roars out in anguish. "Not you. You weren't supposed to die."

I place a hand softly on his shoulder then stand, giving him a moment to mourn my sister privately. She may have never outright said what her feelings were for him, but she and I knew what his were for her. I turn to Naruto, who looks like the fight has gone out of him entirely as the enemy taunts him.

"Didn't you say you wouldn't let any of your comrades die?!" We heard Obito yell from on top of the beast. "Naruto! Look around you and try to say that again!" He continues trying to taunt Naruto further, and I can watch the depression setting in.

"Naruto." I say firmly to him, keeping my voice as steady as I can with tears still falling down my face. I wipe them away as I speak. "You cannot let Ami's sacrifice be in vain. My sister just died protecting not only me, but you and all her friends as well. She knows you are needed to win this war, just like Hinata does. Hinata was the first to jump to you, ready to give her life for you. You need to remember, you hold more than one life in your hands now. Ami's life was one of them. Do not let any others fall now."

Hinata joins me in supporting him, and giving him more reasons to fight again. Naruto then seems to overcome all doubt, and unlocks a new mode. A chakra coat comes off of him, and passes first to Hinata, but then spreads to every shinobi gathered, myself included. I look and see four new reanimations have joined us as well as Sasuke and a few others.

"More reanimations?" I ask in disbelief, and then recognize them as the previous Hokage.

"Yes, however they're on our side." Naruto says confidently, smiling at the Fourth. 

They all go back into the battle, this time going for Madara and Obito since the beast is trapped. I am about to join, when I look over and see Sasuke and his brother are still over by Ami. I can see a storm brewing in Sasuke's eyes, so I make my way instead to his kneel by his side, knowing it's what Ami would want me to do.

"What will you do now, Sasuke?" I ask him seriously.

"She was my whole reason..." He says slowly, rage building, "My whole life. And now she's gone!" He yells, and turns to me. "Why? Why should I fight this battle anymore? All my efforts to help, to keep her safe from afar, all meaningless now!"

"They are not meaningless!" I say back firmly. "Her constant wish was to keep her friends safe. Her dying breath was used to have me beg you for her forgiveness for leaving too soon!" I yell out, feeling again the prickling in my eyes. "Her last wish to me was that I don't let you fall to darkness. She worked too damn hard to be your light, I will not let her efforts be in vain. You will stand up and remember who you are." I place my fist against his chest, over his heart. "You are Sasuke Uchiha, the last survivor of your clan. You are a genius, like us, who has always been destined to change the world. She changed many people's worlds, yours and mine included! Now it's your turn to change the world, to make it a better place!"

"Sasuke, you need to listen to him." Itachi says to his brother as I step back up and watch Sasuke to see what he will do. "Ami Hyuga gave me a second chance, I won't waste it now. I will use it to guide you to the light, like she wanted me to do years ago. She once said to me that I should never have taken away your hero and pushed you into darkness. I told her back then she was wrong, but now, I will do as she asked, and guide you back into the light. Sasuke, this battle must be stopped, and you have the power to do so. Fight alongside your comrades, and end this together with them. Do it for her, if no one else."