Chapter 37: Birthday, Part 1

Naruto left off with Killer Bee and a squad of specialty Jonin ninja from both Konoha and the Cloud, along with Jiraiya. He will be gone and hidden away from the Akatsuki, and he will be training for the war. This time around, he knows about the war. He works better when he is focused, and Kakashi was actually the one to fight for him to know instead of hiding in ignorance. The only thing no one told him was when the war will start. He just knows it's soon, and that he will be of no use until he learns to master his nine-tails mode with his sage mode.

Soon after the war was announced, and the day before Neji and I's 18th birthday, Lord Hiashi called a full clan meeting.

"We, the Hyuga clan, will play an important role in the coming war." Hiashi says to the entire clan who are assembled together. "Expect to be given sensory-type duties once the impending Fourth Great Ninja War begins. Assignments will vary, but in a crisis, we'll need one person to unify and lead the whole clan." Hiashi looks around at everyone assembled. "I can't, I've been assigned to the rear guard, and Hanabi's too young for real combat. Neji," He says, completely ignoring his oldest daughter, looking at my brother who is by my side. "I want you to command our clan on the front lines. Ami, I want you to be the second in command, and stay by his side." Everyone around us starts to whisper, wondering why Neji was chosen and not Hinata. "The entire clan is well aware of Neji's abilities, especially when combined with his twin's. Go, Neji, Ami. Do well." He says with finality, getting up and leaving.

I look to my brother, who's eyes are wide in shock. I smile at him and grab his hand gently. "Good job, Neji. How's that for destiny, Commander?" I nudge him gently.

"If anyone, I thought it would be you. You have the furthest sight of the clan, and have been more involved with the Akatsuki fights." Neji says to me. "Plus, you have such diversity in your jutsu's."

"Yes, but that diversity has lessened the amount of time I spend mastering the Hyuga style. You are the true genius of the Hyuga clan, you have the forms mastered to perfection." I tell him, and we stand up last to leave the room. 

We head outside, stopping when we overhear one of the main family members arguing with Hiashi over appointing Neji as Commander, saying that Hinata should have been chosen because of how hard she has been training. Hiashi argues that Hinata is just too kind to lead, and doesn't disagree with her advancing in her skills.

 Hiashi argues that Hinata is just too kind to lead, and doesn't disagree with her advancing in her skills

"We should have a party." I say randomly, smiling up at him while he and I are walking home. "For our 18th birthday tomorrow."

"A party?" Neji asks skeptically. We've never had a party before.

"Yes, seems like a good time to start a new tradition. We could rent out the tea house and have all our friends over. We honestly all could use a break before we all get thrown into nonstop training and war preparation." I say thoughtfully.

"Fine. It does seem like a nice idea, I suppose." He smiles fondly to me when he thinks about it. "Let's go invite them then."

We divide up who we will invite. He gets Hinata, Sakura, Ino, Lee, Choji, and Tsunade. I get Shino, Shirotsu, Shikamaru, Kakashi, Kurenai, Asuma, Kiba, and Sai. We also just vow to invite any others we see around town while we are out. I make a clone to help me out with my list and we go out at the same time. By the time I get through my list, I dispel the clone, gathering back the confirmations of those she spoke to. So far, everyone has said yes to joining us.