Chapter 35: White Reaper Revealed

"Shirotsu, Shino, I'm glad to see you two are alright. I didn't see you during the battle." I say to my friends the day after the Pain attack, finding them both walking down the street.

"Ami." Shirotsu turns to greet me. "We were fighting with a woman made of paper."

"Konan." I say in surprise. I never really knew where she was during the fight. "I bet that was a bad matchup for her." I say proudly to my friends. I've long since learned the Aburame clan are one of the most unappreciated clans here, yet one of the most powerful. The more I fight alongside one of them, the more I'm surprised I ever beat Shirotsu at the Chuunin exams.

"Indeed. Why? Because she fled soon after being surrounded by our insects." Shino says mysteriously to me.

"Better her than me, that's for sure." I jokingly say back to them with a shiver, imagining being surrounded with the bugs. Shirotsu sees this and smirks at me. "Don't you dare." I glare at him until his smirk goes away and he sighs.

"We hear you were the one who saved the village from being destroyed." Shirotsu says proudly to me. "They are calling you and Naruto the heroes of Konoha."

"Naruto is the hero. He got Pain to bring all the dead back to life. Without him, there would have still been so many casualties. I just saved some buildings." I say dismissively. It really was a pointless risk I took, one that Neji wasted no time in lecturing me about for over an hour last night, going into full big brother protection mode.

"Be that as it may, you still helped save many people. What do you think will happen now with the Hokage in a coma?" Shirotsu asks us both.

"Likely, a temporary Hokage will be appointed." I say with a shrug, "At least until Lady Tsunade wakes up. With the village still in disarray, there needs to be a leader."

I stay and chat with them a while longer, going over what they went through during the attack and giving them a summary of what I did. We part ways, me heading outside of the village to send a message to Sasuke about the attack via Haitaka. Once my message is sent, I head to the hospital to visit Kakashi.

"You did damn good out there, Ami." Kakashi says to me when I sit next to his bed.

"The whole village did great. In the story, the village was completely destroyed and everyone was caught off guard with the attack. This time, we were all prepared and ready. I still don't know why Naruto was so late though." I say in contemplation to him.

"Ah, I asked him that... He apparently needed to prepare his sage clones before he left. Turned to be a moot point since all the intel we had from you made him only have to fight the one Pain. Oh well, better late than never." He sighs and shrugs at that.

"You know, I think you should just make this your new permanent home. You're here so often you might as well. Do you even remember where you live?" I tease him mercilessly as he just groans at me. He hates the hospital with a passion. "At least this time it's just exhaustion from the Raikiri, and not from Kamui. So there's that." I offer up to him.

"Yes, at least there's that. I'll be out of here by tomorrow." He says, a fake smile on his masked face while I giggle at him.

"Do you think he will be appointed Hokage soon?" I ask vaguely to him, knowing there are ears potentially listening nearby.

"Likely today. The elders won't wait long to replace Tsunade." He says, and no sooner were the words out of his mouth than Kiba came running into the room, looking at us both in a panic.

"Lady Tsunade has been dismissed as Hokage!" Kiba says loudly in urgency. "Some guy named Danzo has been named the 6th Hokage. He's some shady guy, and that's not the worst part! He just declared Sasuke a rogue ninja and gave permission to dispose of him!"