Chapter 18: Tsunade

On the second day after we've rested, Naruto starts to beg to be taught the 'secret new move' that Jiraiya promised, so we paused so that Naruto could be taught the first step to the rasengan. After Jiraiya explained the basics, he turned to me with a curious look.

"Are you also wanting to learn this? Since you're here and all, I guess I could teach you too." He ponders out loud. I turn to Naruto for a moment.

"Actually, I was wondering if you could teach me how to do shadow clones. They are much more useful than regular clones. It shouldn't take long for me to learn, I can practice while Naruto works on this first step." I say confidently.

"Oh yeah! I promised to show you that!" Naruto says, distracted away from his water balloon.

"Hmm, I can show you how." Jiraiya says, "Naruto, you keep working on your balloon." Naruto grumbles and goes back to his training, and I turn to the Sannin. I'm surprised he volunteered. I figured he would be too lazy. "Ok, use your eyes and pay close attention." He went on to explain the basics about the move, and how it differs from regular clones. He then made three shadow clones for me with my eyes activated so I could see the distribution of chakra.

I tried out the new method, with the different hand signals. I made one clone, but it vanished shortly after being made. Jiraiya gave me some pointers on why, and we all continued our walk, me and Naruto practicing while we walked. By the time we reached the next village for a night of rest, I had proudly learned to make and maintain three shadow clones. I was beyond exhausted, between the fight yesterday and practicing today all day, I was tapped at my limit. I crawled into the bed at the inn, and slept hard until morning.

We were staying in this town for a while since Jiraiya had to do research to find info about Tsunade. He had me and Naruto go to a field to help Naruto practice, and I watched over him for days as he worked. I got bored, and picked up some books in town at a ninja store about seals and summoning's. These two things together are what's needed to use the Flying Thunder God jutsu, so I spent days reading what I could. From that, I designed my mark. As I was researching about seals, I started to discover a potential weakness for me in using it. Seals work best for sensory types of ninja, and for this technique, I will need to be able to 'sense' where I leave my mark. I am a sensory type, at least as far as locating specific targets with my Byakugan. However, I don't have much experience with locating or sensing specific chakra. Traditional sensor types are able to sense it, or feel it, but I can only see it. My theory is though, if I can see my mark, I can teleport to it. So, I will end up with a slightly limited version of the technique, but it still could be the difference between life and death. When I spotted Lord Fourth's kunai on display at the weapons shop, it was a combination of words that likely had meaning for him. In Lord Second's scroll, it was a symbol that looked like a summoning symbol. So for me, I decided to pay homage to Death, and I made my marking the kanji for 'Shinigami' with some wings on the side.