Chapter 13: Kabuto

'Ami Hyuga vs Kabuto Yakushi'

"Fuck." I mutter to myself when my name matches to fight the spy, but Neji hears it. He gives me a long look, sending several messages to my eyes. 'don't worry', 'do your best', 'you're strong', 'why are you worried', 'are you ok', and many more passed from him to me. I just gave him a short, determined nod, and went downstairs. After Lee and Guy cheered for me loudly, Kiba and Shikamaru both gave a smirk to me. They have complete confidence in me. Naruto however, glared at me in hatred. I ignored it, he'll change his tune in a month.

I think in my head about everything I know about Kabuto. He's a gifted medical ninja, he fights with chakra scalpels from his palms that target muscles, he's extremely intelligent, he's deceptive, he's a master spy. I try to think about advantages I could have against him. He's a close combat fighter, much like a Hyuga. If we go hand to hand, we will almost neutralize each other. It would come down to a test of speed, and unfortunately, reach. He's older and taller than me, with longer limbs that would give him an advantage. Luckily, I have something that can compensate for that. I take out my fan scroll and discretely summon them as I go down the steps. I tuck the fans into my sleeves to have as a secret weapon. I think my only other main advantage is that Kabuto is a spy and not a particularly gifted taijutsu fighter. He is supposed to be a genin level right now. If he fights too hard, he will out himself potentially. This again makes me wonder why he stayed in the preliminaries this time instead of forfeiting.

"I get to fight one of the famous Hyuga Twins, I feel honored. The rumors mentioned your great skill, but not your beauty. I will have to add that to my information cards." Kabuto says with a smirk as he takes a fighting stance.

"Yes, I would hate for you to have failed at gathering information." I taunt darkly, taking my stance.

"Let the match, begin!" Hayate calls out and then jumps back. I activate my eyes, and see that Kabuto is channeling his chakra into his hands, similar to how I do into my arrows. The main difference is that he's channeling medical ninjutsu chakra, which when used offensively, is destructive on a cellular level. I know I can't let him hit me, it will cut much deeper and with more precision that a regular knife.

He lunges first towards me, and I'm already prepared. For now, I want to use my speed, and try to cut off his chakra blades and reduce that risk. I know I can't use my bow here due to the confined fighting room, but I would like to wait on the fans if possible. When he gets to me, I find I can block his hits well enough with my speed even though he is strong. He is certainly fast though, but after a year of training with Team Guy, his speed means nothing to me. As I'm blocking, I'm using the Gentle Fist to subtly block his chakra points that I can reach through his solid defense, just like Neji did to Hinata earlier. Kabuto is smart though, I'm sure he's prepared for that.

He jumps back suddenly, gaining distance. "Ah yes, blocking my chakra points, just like your brother did earlier. That's a dangerous technique, I'll have to be careful." Kabuto says innocently with a chuckle, and I can see it worked and now one of his hands can't precisely control the chakra anymore. "I'll just have to keep some distance, no matter." He takes out multiple kunai, then launches them at me as he jumps around the room, trying to get to a blind spot. Not that I have one. I dodge his kunai easily, he is trying to throw me off by varying the speeds he throws them at. I can't figure it out though, I'm sure he's much stronger than this. He must still be acting as a genin and hiding his real skills right now.

"Trying to find a blind spot against a Hyuga?" I sneer at him, unperturbed by his weapons flying at me. "It's funny, you struck me as an intelligent person. Guess I was wrong." I take out my own kunai and launch two sets out. The first was to his current location behind a pillar, the second was to set up a trap behind him. Those ones wedge lightly into the wall, blending in with some cracks left from a previous battle, and have a string attached to them. When Kabuto jumps out to avoid my simple kunai attack, I chase and lead him to where he will get struck by my others. He's falling for it too easily, so I immediately think of a backup plan.