Chapter 16: Invasion

"Neji, eat this." I say firmly, giving him a soldier pill. He eyes me curiously, but at my serious expression, he eats it silently. A few short minutes later, and white feathers are falling from the sky. Thanks to Kurenai, Neji and I can feel the genjutsu, even if I already knew what it was. We both instantly channel our chakra and release it. I look at Shino, but he already dispelled the jutsu as well thanks to his bugs. The Sand siblings aren't a threat right now, so I run to the roof along the side of the wall, Neji following.

"What's going on?" Neji asks me, looking around.

"We're under attack. Keep an eye out for enemies." I inform him. Before he can question it, an explosion goes off at the Kage's box, and we turn and see the Kazekage holding the Hokage at knife point. I don't hesitate to draw my bow. I aim it quickly at the fake Kage, and right as I see the Sound Four surrounding them, I launch off my arrow with the most speed I can. I smirk as it hit its target. It may not have been a kill shot, all his vitals were blocked, but a large hole through one's shoulder ought to slow even Orochimaru down.

"Did you just shoot the Kazekage?!" Neji asks me in disbelief.

"No, I just shot the man holding the Hokage at knife point." I counter, and the attack begins. Sound and Sand ninja start to appear from everywhere. We both turn and hear another explosion, seeing giant summoning snakes entering the village over by the Hokage tower.

"Neji, I can help with those snakes. Stay here and help fight, you're more needed here." I say, and he nods in agreement. That's one of the best things about Neji, absolute faith in me, just as I have in him. I know he will be fine with me gone, and he knows my ranged attacks are better suited against those monsters, so we have no time wasted on debate.

I head a little closer to the snakes, getting to a roof top that's away from the immediate fighting. I load up another arrow, infuse it, then send it flying through one of the heads open mouth. It screeches in pain but doesn't go down while I load up the next one. I aim at the eye of the middle snake this time, since the throat hit didn't take the other down. I loose my arrow, and it sinks in just as one of the other shinobi gets the other eye with exploding kunai. The middle snake goes down hard. I aim at the third head, and land that arrow into its eye as a giant toad summoning appears. Jiraiya has made his appearance, and he is taking on the first snake I shot. I look around for a moment, taking in the chaos of other smaller snake summoning's and enemy ninja. I make my way over to the Hokage tower, activating my eyes to see that it's almost empty. Only a few people are inside. I give myself two minutes to go in and find anything useful and get out.

I search the halls and head for the records rooms. I already know which rooms they are, but I can't go into two of them due to seals. A third one is open though, and I quickly scan for traps. Finding none that I can't avoid, I rifle through the contents. Jackpot, these are old records for meetings. I search through by year until I find the one from the massacre. I find the meeting notes, and scan them briefly. This will work, at least to plant a seed of doubt. I take out a blank scroll and imitate the outward appearance of the record, then put it away in the drawer, stealing the actual records. I have 30 second left, and move to the next room over. I spot the large scroll that Naruto steals of forbidden jutsu's, but it's heavily sealed up. I must be in a clan jutsu room or something, because I see technique scrolls on the table. Not forbidden ones, just basics. I go to the cabinet and search, and find the Flying Thunder God one. I don't have time to make a convincing copy, so I just steal it and hope no one wants to learn it besides me. I tuck it away without even checking its contents, then run back out to the battle.

I take on several Sound shinobi who must have had a similar plan to my raiding, because a large wave of about a dozen sound ninja came towards the tower as I exit. I take out my fans and use my micro blades attack on them, slicing them all down. I'm getting beyond exhausted at this point from so many large attacks. I take a moment to breath, and am caught off guard by a couple of Sand ninja. They got in a few good hits on me, knocking me down before backup came.