Chapter 21: Aftermath

"Sshh, shut up you idiot or you're going to wake her up." I hear my brother's voice as I start to wake up. I notice I'm in a bed, but it's not mine. I peak my eyes open, adjusting to the bright room. I look around and see that I'm in the hospital. I glance to my right and see a window, and to my left I see another bed with my brother in it

"Nii-san." I say quietly, my throat hurting. I cough a few times, and someone hands me a glass a water. I look up from the hand and see it's Lee. I sit up and accept the drink, feeling every muscle in my body screaming at me for the action. "What happened?"

"I will fill you in." Lee tells me, "Everyone came back from the mission with various injuries. You had multiple minor fractures in your arms and legs, likely from our fight with Kimimaru, as I had the same wounds. Choji ate two special Akimichi food tablets, and dangerously depleted his chakra stores. However, had he eaten the third pill, it could have been fatal. Shino aided greatly in the defeat of Jirobo of the Sound, before moving on to catch up to you and Neji. He remained with the wounded Neji, who you already know got pierced once with an arrow, and a minor cut on his leg that is already healed. Shikamaru broke only a finger as he was aided by Temari of the Sand village, and has been waiting for you and Choji to wake up. Kiba suffered the greatest injuries of the group, along with Akamaru. They were close to being in critical, but they are safely recovering right now, though it will take time for their wounds to heal. They were aided by Kankuro of the Sand. You and Naruto came back unconscious, though Naruto woke up yesterday. You have been out for two days now due to extreme chakra use and fatigue, which makes sense as you were in the most fights and used multiple advanced techniques multiple times in one day, which is truly remarkable." Lee complimented after giving me a full update.

"So everyone made it back ok then? You said Kiba was a close call, but he's ok, and everyone else is too... Thank god." I sigh out in relief. I changed their fates. No one almost died today. I made another difference, along with seeing Sasuke. I hope he listens to my words.

"Everyone made it back... But Sasuke still got away." He tells me sadly. "The mission was a failure."

"Perhaps." I say quietly and sadly, but didn't elaborate. I listen to Lee tell us about the fight with Kimimaru after I left, and how he reconciled with Gaara.

"You're awake." I hear from the door. I glance over and smile at Shikamaru as he walks over to me. "Thank god, you slept for forever, troublesome woman."

"Had to catch up on my beauty sleep." I joke tiredly.

"Not that you needed any." I hear from the door behind him, and look over and see it was Kankuro, who came in with his siblings. "Glad to see you awake, you're the last one. Then again, you were at nearly every fight. I just got the bad luck to not be at one of yours." He jests with a bit of flirtation, and I awkwardly chuckle. I notice Neji glaring at him.

"Better luck next time." I say politely, then turn to his siblings, "Thank you all for your help. I'm glad we were on the same side this time."

"I agree. You were impressive in your fight, same as the exams." Gaara says quietly and I'm surprised he did. His siblings look surprised as well.

"Thank you. Maybe someday we can spar, or else just fight side by side some time." I offer up with a smile. I really do wonder how I would do against him. I turn to Temari next, "I also want to spar with you, as a fellow fan wielder. Could be fun. Or massively destructive, either way, sounds like a good time." I joke.

"Bring it on anytime, Hyuga." She smirks at me. The siblings stay a little longer before it's time for them to go home.

Guy Sensei returns from his mission he was on and checks in on all of us. "What's this? I leave and one of you is injured in the hospital, I come back and you switch places? Team bonding without me, huh?!"