8| a force of habit, I'm afraid

Hermann Hesse
"Often it is the most deserving people who cannot help loving those who destroy them."

SETH

Name a more perfect duo that would murder each other when locked up in a room. Had Lance been here, hell had anyone who knew them been there, they would have gotten a kick out of all this.

Words slipped now and then but at the moment, he wished that he would have been relentless and actually carried her to the yacht instead of suggesting something as absurd as staying with her under the same roof.

Jessica's heels made a light sound with the weak floorboards of the house as she walked around assessing everything. Truth be told, the house that Seth had been given sure needed some cleaning.

To start with, the fireplace itself seemed to have been falling apart and atleast centuries old. The roof of the house, which by the way was made of thatch, had some holes. The poles that hoisted the house up had been drilled by termites. Frankly the only thing that seemed steady was the bed and the two rocking chairs against the dingy table.

"I told you, it's not your type of place. Look, it's not too late. Mark will be back anytime soon and hopefully you can go back with him and put everything behind you",Seth suggested calmly leaning against the wall.

She turned around, her eyes digging holes into his like they always did. With her arms crossed on her chest, she opened her mouth to speak,

"Do you always control Tessa like this?"

It was a trick question. No. It was more of a 'trying to get under your skin' question. She was using that tone he hated. The tone that always pretended to know him better. To know him better than he did himself.

And to bring up Tessa? After she very well knew she was the root of his relationship falling apart? Jessica was trying to provoke him but he wouldn't budge.

"However do you mean?"

"Ooh I don't know, this. All of this. You bringing me here. To talk, was it? And when I do want to stay and talk, you want to pack me and my belongings in your little yacht and get rid of me? It's not happening, Seth!" She lashed.

"You want to talk? Then sure, let's talk",Seth seethed taking a few strides to where the chairs were and pulling one out for her.

He settled his behind on one of the chairs with a nervous Jessica towering over him. It was then that he noticed the conservative maroon dress she had worn that did no justice to her body.

A body that had stuck to his mind like the way used gum did to a shoe. He remembered the little tattoo on the underside of her right breast. The tiny black mole on the side of her waist and the dolphin look alike tattoo on her left thigh. All this from a mere billboard he has seen weeks prior.

"Why did you do it?" She suddenly asked and he chuckled.

What possibly could she have meant.

"I've done a lot of things, sweetheart. You have to be more specific"

Her nose flared and her green eyes widened in disbelief at the sound of him calling her sweetheart. He had to admit it though, nothing thrilled him more than torturing her. Torturing her so much that she had to bite her bottom lip in a frustrated way.

"Shutting down the hotel. Agreeing to help them. To live here? All because of me? Y-you shouldn't have done it",she stuttered.

For once, Jessica stuttered and the little action had his heart racing with unforeseen want. Lord no! It wasn't want, it couldn't have been want.