23| as dark as his heart

JESSICA DAVIS

JESSICA DAVIS

"Jessica?"

"Jessica, are you okay?"

She would have rather remained stuck thirty stories high than reply to that voice. He made her mad, she was stuck in his elevator because of him!

Her legs bowled together as she clutch her purse hoping that the nightmare would be over. The red light at the top corner of the steel-walled entrapment she was in flickered and her heart pulsated along with it. The mirrors on both sides of the walls made it worse because she was starting to hallucinate.

She was starting to reimagine a horror-based character she had watched from the movie night with Jace yesterday. The thought of staring at her reflection shook her.

What if she peered at her reflection only to find a pale-looking girl clad in a white dress staring back?

"You'll have to talk to me at some point", Seth's voice sounded from the meshwork-like radio thing near the elevator buttons.

"It's all your fault", she hissed dreadfully rubbing her forearms that had already been infested with goosebumps.

"I didn't force you to get in there, now did I?" Seth remarked and Jessica bit her lip with frustration.

A cocky bastard, that's what he was.

"I'm stuck in your elevator about to breathe in the last air in here and-"

"You're going to be fine. My team is already working on getting you out perhaps you do know that it will take hours before you run out of air right?"

A know-it-all was the last thing she needed at the moment.

"Just get me out", she puffed dragging her already spooked body to the floor of the lift.

The white blouse she had was already drenched with sweat at her pits. She tended to perspire a lot when she was nervous and scared and knowing that Seth was at the other end of the line didn't make her worries go away.

"I'm sorry", his voice echoed, "for everything"

He finished and she tried very hard to ignore the solemnity in his voice. It was too late to apologize after what he had done. He left her no choice but to work for him. Failure to do so would lead to Davis Corp falling into shambles and years of debt and worse, her father and brother going to jail.

"For which part exactly? For forcing me to work for you? Or for luring my father into your trap? Or for taking my life away from me?" she winced and the two-minute silence from his side killed her more than she cared to admit.

"I'm sorry that I was an ass to you back then", his hoarse voice came out strong and remorseful, "if I knew you were in love with me, things would have been different. I...would have been different"