19| I call the cops

JESSICA DAVIS

JESSICA DAVIS

Charles Griffin's party was one of the most glamorous events held every year in their little city.

Now unlucky for her, every member of the elite families in LA had to make an appearance including her family. Of course, she was an adult now and she could have easily said 'no' to the invitation but her mother Meryl Davis had ensured that come what may, Jessica would attend it.

Jessica took a glance around as her hands grabbed the sparkling glass of champagne from a passing busboy. One sip and she could already feel her muscles, as well as her good spirits, dampen. She would have rather sat in her flat binge-watching another episode of Love Island while stuffing her face with cookie dough than be at a sadistic event where everyone showed off their fancy Rolex watches, while the surly old men debated on which waitress they'd take to bed for the night.

"You seem happy", her dad spoke behind her and she turned around hugging him.

"I'm very happy, especially because mom keeps pairing me up with every guy she meets at this delightful function", Jessica spoke sarcastically, and her old man chuckled with her as they both stared at Meryl, who ironically was talking to Stephen Murphy, without a doubt trying to convince him that Jessica was single and ready to mingle.

"You know she wants the best for you. We all do", her dad enunciated, and Jessica sighed.

"I know but--this is all getting annoying. Last week I had to go on a date with Marv Berman and let me tell you I'm still traumatized by the way he ripped a lobster with his bare hands"

It was even about the lobster that had her irked. It was the way, Marv casually suggested that they go to his apartment just by the corner that had her frustrated at her mother's choices.

"He can't be that bad", her dad scolded, and Jessica was forced to narrate the whole Marv thing to her father.

The thing about her father, unlike Mars, he was a good listener. He always tried to understand her and unlike her mother and brother, her father believed in her. Acknowledged that she wasn't the same girl from high school who would easily relapse into depression for a mere heartbreak.

One month and she was still heartbroken but she didn't let that define her. Instead, she had moved on. Tried to piece her life back together because, at the end of the day, it was just sex. The so-called sex that might have caused a strain on her friendship with Tessa.

The proclaimed sex had her hiding behind her career instead of looking her friend in the eye and telling her that she slept with her fiance.

"Paul? What are you--we have to go. Stephen Murphy might need a bit of a word with Jessica", her mother said enthusiastically clutching the hem of her floor-length Balenciaga emerald dress.