Highschool| Viv's gone

MARSHALL DAVIS

Death came to the people who didn't deserve it. It was so unfair how destiny and the universe worked. He didn't need to go to the chapel to pray or ask God to protect Viv because deep in his heart he knew. He knew she was...

A couple of nurses came to him now and then asking him if he was okay but the whole time he remained quiet because he couldn't find courage to say anything. His mother sat on the couch in the waiting room freaking out as she called his father and the whole scene made Mars more terrified.

He had blood on his hands. Jessica's blood was in his hands and they shook. How they shook uncontrollably.

"Okay. Everything will be alright, Paul. Nothing bad will happen. Nothing bad will happen",his mother sobbed behind him.

He had never been scared in his life like he was now. Deep inside of him he knew how everything would play out. He was the one who carried her to the car, he was the one who saw Jessica flinch in pain on their way to the hospital, he was the one who felt Jessica's blood flow down his forearms in streams and lastly, he was the one who saw that dreadful look in the doctor's eye.

Something bad would happen. He knew it and although he tried to remain strong, he feared that his walls would definitely crumble.

They waited for hours. Hours of agony, praying, encouraging one another and when the doctor did come, his father had been the first to ask how 'Jessica and the baby were doing'.

"Are you the parents of Miss Davis?" The doctor with the bushy beard asked.

Those types of questions were never good because the next statement that would follow would be; 'I'm sorry to inform you but-'

"Sí. I'm her father and this is my wife, Meryl. Doc, wh-how are they doing?" His father asked, voice laced with fear and anxiety.

Mars stood a far off watching the doctor's expression turn sour.

"Mi dispiace, the baby didn't make it. She had a miscarriage which is common during--"

Mars stopped listening the instant he heard that the baby hadn't make it. It hurt him deeply because he blamed himself for it. He blamed himself for everything that had happened to his sister for the past years.

He should have protected her from such pain. He should have prevented her from being near Seth Cervantes. He should have acted like the big brother he was.

Jessica was never going to recover from this and that scared him more. They would lose her too.

"Thanks, doctor",his father uttered and his mother, Meryl sobbed bitterly against his shoulders.

Mars didn't cry. He had to be strong if he wanted Jessica to be strong.

The hardest part was breaking the news to Jessica. The hardest part was telling Jessica that Viv was no more. That the baby she had sworn to protect with her life was dead.

"I can't--I can't do this",his mother wailed as they all stared at a sleeping Jessica. She looked peaceful. She looked happy and God, waking her up to tell her that Viv was no more seemed cruel.

"We have to"

"What if we don't?"Mars asked and his parents gazed at him as if he was crazy,"w-we'll adopt another baby. Convince her it's Viv! We don't have to do this, w-we don't have--"

"Mars"

"Dad, we can spare her the pain-"

"Mars"

"I don't want to lose her too, dad. I can't lose her too", this time the unshed tears that he had held onto, fell down his cheeks as his father gave him a hug.