43| she put him in there

JESSICA DAVIS

Ears ringing, body tied up, eyes searching for anyone among the bodies that spread in the room like manna.

"I had no choice. I created this monster. I turned her into this"

Someone spoke behind her. A more subtle less baritone voice she would recognize from nowhere.

She glanced over her shoulder with difficulty, squinting to get a close look at the man standing behind her with a gun limp in his right hand.

Bono Urquillo.

Tessa's dad.

Then suddenly men clad in army boots strode in, guns blazing. One of them yanked the gun from Bono's hands, while another worked on untying her from the rusty chair that had become her solace.

He spoke to her, she didn't hear a thing. With her heart in her mouth, she stood up weakly. Tessa's body lay limp on the ground, a pool of blood surrounding her.

A clean shot to the chest and through had done it for her but Jessica couldn't utter a thing. She didn't have time to mourn for her because everything happening was her fault.

Another body lay next to Tessa but she overlooked it.

She went around the two bodies, her hands shaking as she glanced at the man on the ground trying to take in as much air as he possibly could before life ebbed out of his body.

"No. P-please no!" A bitter sob escaped her as she leaned over his body. As she put her hands on his wound trying to stop as much blood as she could from spewing out but her efforts were futile.

"I--it's ok", his voice came out haggard, another line of blood oozing from his mouth.

His chest heaved up and down difficultly and she tried to offer him support as she could pushing his hair back. Tears welled her eyes, bitterness flogged her throat and her head lolled back in denial.

"It's not okay! Y--You can't leave us! W...we need you damn it! I need you...I-I can't... please don't. Stay with me... please"

She lost her voice in the tears that choked her. In the tears that signified that this was the end.

But it couldn't.

It couldn't have been the end.

He shouldn't--God why was fate this cruel? Why did fate punish her so?

If he died, she would die. She couldn't live without him. She couldn't live without her better half beside her, it was that simple.

"H-hey", he coughed up blood trying to speak again,"y--you'll be fine"

And he cocked his eyes to the other man afar off who was slowly being worked on by a couple of the men from before.

"No, I won't. I won't. I need you. I need you too. My life...I can't live my life without you. We can't live our lives without you. Please don't do this. Don't do this to me! Please!"

"Take care of him. I love you", he said in agony, his hand landing on her bump.

"I--"

And before she could reply, his body went limp and his eyes shut indefinitely.

"No! No, wake up! No! You are not...wake up damn it! Wake up"

She hit his chest, she cradled his face but that didn't do anything. He wasn't moving and judging by the amount of blood around him, he wasn't going to wake up anytime soon.

The men behind her pulled her from the body and she shrieked in their arms trying to get back to him. Trying to wake him up because she didn't believe that was the end.