33| as good as dead

TESSA URQUILLO

Cancun.

They were in fucking Cancun and the video had the idiots in LA swooning over Seth Cervantes' true love. Jessica fucking Davis.

She hissed dunking the bottle of vodka as if it were water down her throat. Her palm fisted the metallic railing and her gaze locked on the coffee table down below.

It wasn't that big of a jump. She'd jumped over that railing weeks ago, the only difference was the last time she did it, she was high on Percocet, or was it Vicodin or maybe it was both. And when she was high, she thought she would single hardly jump off of a building and end up without a scratch. She thought she was like a cat with nine lives.

As the music got loud and her thoughts scrambled, even more, her cell phone buzzed against the bag at her side. She got it out of her bag, her other hand clutching her bag as well as the bottle of vodka.

"Pyro? Where are you? I've been waiting for a fucking hour", she hissed and her drug dealer breathed harder against the phone saying the words she dreaded,

We're compromised, Tess and that's because of you. My advice, get clean cause no one in the fucking neighborhood wants to sell you shit

"Pyro?" Her breathing went rugged, her knees became weak as she desperately spoke over the phone, "I--I have money. I have double. Let me talk to the boss, we-we can sort this"

He's not exactly in a talking mood. You know how he is

"Then don't tell him shit. Just bring what you promised", her tears were on the verge of falling as she clutched the railing resisting the urge to break the glass that held the railing up.

Can't. Someone snitched that I was still in contact with you. It's my head or you and...no offense but I like my head screwed to my body

"Pyro", this time she sobbed. She needed something. Anything to make the feelings of being alone and lonely from taking over her entire body and drugs? Drugs pretty much had done it for her over the last couple of years.

You're a dope chick, Tess. Get your life together and get away from this shit

Get away.

Get away from the last permanent thing in her life. She couldn't. She wouldn't.

"Pyro, please. I'm begging you. Give boss the phone"

Goodbye Tess

"Give my father the fucking phone, Pyro!"
But the line got cut and by now, she was in the middle of a club shouting like the rest of the coke-inhaling delinquents.

"I can't--I can't--he can't--he can't leave me. I'll fix it. I'll--fix everything"

But she wouldn't fix anything and she knew it. She knew deep down that she was alone from now on.

Her daddy dearest was halfway across the world by now doing as much as he could to escape the mess she had created. Her mother...ooh her stupid mother was probably so preoccupied with another charity fund for kids with rare diseases to give a shit about where she was and what she was doing.

Marshall Davis on the other hand had been too much of a pretend saint and she couldn't handle it. He never loved her. Because love wasn't judging her. He'd been too prude to fight for her.

This is wrong. He'd say.

We'll work through this together. He'd say.

I'll do anything for you. He'd say.