Chapter Four

A/N LOL I JUST CAN'T WITH THIS PICTURE!

Okay I don't know why this took me so long to write because it isn't like tooooo long. I'm really sorry that I took forever I'm sure you're confused. But here you go!

This morning when I woke up I thought I was back in my bed at home. I thought the whole thing was just a dream. I had to admit I was relieved to find out that it wasn't a dream. I mean obviously I was not at home because right now I was picking greens from the garden again and I've been going at it for 2 hours.

"Gosh, you do this every day?"

"Yeah, you'll get used to it." He said, "In a couple minutes we'll switch and you'll get a crack at building,"

"Building?" I asked,

"Yeah we're trying to get a stump out of our way so we need to hack at it before we can build anything," he explained, "since you're a Greenie you get to experience all the jobs then we'll figure out which one you're best at."

"Interesting,"

"I'm just waiting for Zart to come over and tell us we can go,"

As if he heard us, Zart came waltzing over and told us we can head out. We handed him our baskets and he walked me over to where Gally was working, "Here," he handed me a blade with a slight curve in it for cutting tree roots. I started hacking away at the tree trunk while Newt started working on the opposite side of me.

"How come whatever job I'm working on you are working on with me?" I asked genuinely curious because I truly didn't know about this.

"Whenever a new Greenie comes up we always have someone that helps and walks them around their first couple days," he explained.

"Like a guide?" I suggested,

"Yeah, like a guide," he said.

"Cool,"

"Stop talking and work, Shank" A grumpy voice said from above me.

"Oh come on Gally, that's not fair," I said, "haven't you ever talked while working?"

"No," he said

"Never?" I asked,

"Honestly he doesn't talk much, but he's never yelled at others to stop talking," he said this last directly to Gally. Gally's upper lip came up and he made a snarling type noise. I shot Gally a strange look but continued to hack away at the stump.

Gally stood there standing at me for a bit until he finally huffed and left. I looked up at Newt who was across from me and he just raised his eyebrows and shook his head, "Gally can be strange sometimes," He said.

"I think he's just lonely," I said, "he doesn't have anyone that understands him."

"No one ever thought about it that way," he said, "everyone just thought he was a big grump."

"Yeah I don't think that, I think he just has trust issues and he's a broken kid."

Frypan called us to what I would call the 'mess hall' to eat. I saw that the boys were eating in groups depending on what job they had. Once Newt and I had gotten our food I asked, "so where should I eat today?"

"We can eat with Gally and the builders today," he said. He led us over to where I saw Gally and a couple other builders were. Gally looked up and made eye contact with me. As soon as his eyes rested on me his eyes narrowed and his eyebrows (somehow) made an even stranger shape than they already were.

"Newt," he acknowledged. I sat down in front of the grump, I know I just said that he wasn't a gump, "Annie," he growled.

"Gally," I replied. I sat in silence, listening to Newt and another builder converse until I felt something. I stood up quickly and turned to a confused blondie, "I have to go to the bathroom!"