Chapter Five

A/N this is so true⬆⬆ I feel u TBS!

I'm so sorry that this soo long to get published. Pls don't hate me!!!

Song: No current song for this chapter

Annie's POV

It's been a little less than a year since I first found myself in the Glade. Every month like clockwork the Box would come up and bring a new Greenie, yesterday Chuck was the lucky guy to come up in the Box so that meant that the next Greenie would be Thomas. I took an instant liking to Chuck and I think he did the same towards me.

When I first came up in the Glade I was obsessed with Minho, yes me and Minho are friends but I don't see too much of him since he is a runner and he is usually in the maze. I thought I could live here without forming a new crush but of course that didn't happen and feelings for Newt started to grow and grow.

Newt and I worked together in the Gardens. I tried all the different jobs but I liked, and was good at, working in the Gardens and I mostly picked beans so I didn't have to bend over and risk hurting my back.

Hey, Newt," he called as he got close, "Alby had an idea for another building project and I thought you could help out,"

"Okay, what's the project," Newt stopped picking greens and leaned against the wooden poles holding the vines.

"A lookout sort of place in a tree," Gally explained,

"Like a treehouse?" I asked,

He grimaced like he didn't want to agree with me but he still replied with, "yeah like a treehouse,"

"Yeah I remember Alby mentioning something like that to me," Newt said.

"Oo can I help?" I ask putting a green in the basket below me.

"No," Gally said forcefully, "do you even know how to use a hammer?"

"Gally," Newt said in a lecturing tone. I ignored him.

"Of course I know how to use a hammer I help build the treehouse that me and my sister had when we were young,"

"You're sister?" Gally asked,

"Yea, her name's Lindsey,"

"How do you remember your past!" Gally said, "You know I don't even know why I ask anymore."

"Oh um," I kept forgetting about the whole 'them not remembering anything but their names' thing, "in like visions and memories," I waved my hands around my head and tried to look like I was telling the truth. I hated lying like this but there wasn't someone I could talk to about this.

"No you're not going to help," Gally said.

"Yes she is going to help," Gally glared at Newt, "Just give her a hammer and she what she can do,"

"Fine, but if you mess up even once, you're back to the gardens." Gally said and I nodded in agreement, "We need to cut branches from a tree to make it and so you can come help with that,"

I nodded again and left my basket with another Track-Hoe.

"So this is the tree we were going to use. We need to shave down the branches and get rid of most of the leaves to make platforms, "Gally said, "Newt if you would like to help with this side with me, while Annie and Dan can work on that side."

Gally lead us to a tree, branches partially cut and trimmed off. He then handed Newt a blade as I walked up to another boy, Dan, who handed me a blade and scooted over so I could work on the same side. Dan had already cut off many branches and they were laying in a pile next to him.

"So how long do you think this project will take?" I asked,

"Couple months," the boy, Dan, from beside me replied, "why do you got plans," He chuckled to himself at the joke. I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon."

"No," I laughed quietly, "just thinking,"

"Well I don't think you were required to think for this project now keep chopping and shut your shucking mouth," I opened my mouth to shoot out a retort but I caught Newt's gaze and shut my mouth quickly.

I just thought in silence about what would be coming up in the next few months. In the next few months Thomas would be coming up, then Teresa.

And that is what would trigger the Ending.

A month later

"Today's the day for the new greenie," Newt informed me.

Oh right, I thought, this would be Thomas right? He comes after Chuck and Chuck was last week.

I thought it would be Thomas next but my only concern is that we hadn't finished the treehouse/ lookout post yet and Thomas and Teresa used it later on.. I hammered another nail into the wood and made sure it was stable before moving onto the next plank.

"Hey guys!" Winstin called up to us, "The Box is coming up!"

Newt and I shuffled down the ladders and stairs and hurried over to the box. A group of boys were huddled all around each other, just like when I first came up, waiting for the Box to come up. Once the box had clicked in place Newt and I opened the sliding doors then pulled open the crates. What I saw made my heart jump into my throat.

"Lindsey?"

_________

A/N 

Is there a song that I missed that could work for this chapter? Let me know------------>

I'm really sorry that it took me so long to get this chapter up. I've been very busy with school and all, hope you all understand love you! <3

Vote and comment! Don't be a silent reader!

Word Count: 929

First Updated: 01/25/23- 4:14 PM

Last Updated: 3/4/23- (adding the banner)