Chapter Twenty Three

A/N 

(EDIT) I added a meme bc I forgot. Again. Anyway ppl who love Dylan O'Brien and Teen Wolf understand this. 

I'm so sorry that this has taken me so long to get done. I actually took half this chapter from my original, old Maze Runner Fanfiction (IT IS SO CRINGY but this part was okay) Anyway I hope you enjoy this!! Teresa comes into play more and moreeeee!!!

Enjoy!

Newt's POV

"Teresa?" She asked.

"Yes you said the name Teresa." I said, skeptically.

"Yeah, cause Lindsey said 'Thank Mother Teresa," and I just mentioned that." she said it like she was trying to come up with something that I would just believe.

"Who's Mother Teresa?" I asked.

"A role model of sorts in the world,"

"Oh you and your memory," I said, "it might be nice to remember."

"Right," she trailed off, "I keep forgetting that you don't remember anything."

"So what we're you-"

"Look I don't know what you heard but it isn't what you think."

"I don't know what you thought I heard," I said suspiciously, "All I heard was the name and something called The Ending."

"No I said 'lending' because I am lending Lindsey something of mine."

"I'm pretty sure you said Ending but okay." I said skeptically. I turned around to go back to the mess hall when a loud noise suddenly came from the lift.

"What's going on?" I asked Annie.

"It's the Box," she said, surprised. In some way she looked like she was acting it and that she wasn't really surprised.

Suddenly Thomas appeared next to me, "What's so important about the Box?" Thomas asked.

"We've never had two Newbies show up in the same month, much less two days in a row." Annie said quickly.

"That's exactly what I was going to say." I said, I was confused. She shrugged her shoulders and ran off towards the homestead. Thomas and I looked at each other and then followed her.

As we arrived at the Homestead the box was dark and I could not see what was in it clearly. I leaned over to get a better look into the box. With a jerk, I pushed myself back into an upright position, my face scrunched in confusion Many people had now congregated around the opening of the Box.

"Holy..." I breathed, looking around at nothing in particular.

"No way..." Alby said, leading down.

"Shuck, another one?" Everyone started talking and muttering at once.

"What do they see?" someone said.

"What's going on?" another said.

"Hold on!" Alby yelled, silencing everyone. "Just hold on!"

"Well, what's wrong?" someone yelled back.

Alby stood up. "Two Newbies in two days, " he said almost in a whisper.

Alby looked at Thomas who arrived yesterday. "What's going on with her, Greenie?"

Thomas stared back, confused, his face turned bright red, his gut clenched. "How am I supposed to know?"

"Why don't you just tell us what the shuck is down there, Alby." Gally called out. There were more murmurs and another surge forward.

"You shanks shut up!" Alby yelled. "Tell 'em Newt."

I looked down in the Box one more time, then faced the crowd, gravely.

"It's a girl." I said.

Everyone started talking at once.

"Another girl?"

"I got dibs!"

"SHUT UP DAVE THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID WHEN ANNIE CAME UP"

"What's she look like?"

"How old is she?"

I shushed them again. "That's not bloody half of it, " I said, then pointed down into the Box. "I think she's dead."

A couple of boys grabbed some rope made from ivy vines and lowered me into the Box so we could retrieve the girl's body. She was thin, but not too small. Maybe five and a half feet tall, from what I could see. She looked like she could be fifteen or sixteen years old, and her hair was dark brown. Before I was able to pick up the girl's body she opened her eyes, sat up and looked past me.

"Thomas!" She yelled, then she slumped back down to the floor of the Box.

"You know this girl, shank?" Gally asked, sounding ticked off.

"Of course not!" Thomas said defensively.

"That's not..." Alby began, then stopped with a frustrated sigh. "I mean does she look familiar at all? At kind of feeling' you've seen her before?"

"Yeah, I feel like I used to know her, before the Maze." Thomas shifted.

I shifted my gaze over to Thomas. "Do you know this girl, Greenie? You were the last one to have come up from the Box beside this girl."

"I swear she doesn't look familiar at all." He said.

"Are you-" Before I could finish, the girl shot up into a sitting position. As she sucked in a high breath, her eyes snapped open and she blinked, looking around at the crowd, her gaze stopping at Annie. Alby cried out and fell backward. I gasped and stumbled away from her a bit.

"Everything is going to change."

Her eyes rolled up into her head and she fell back to the ground. Her right fist shot into the air as she landed, staying rigid after she grew still, pointed toward the sky. Clutched in her hand was a piece of paper.

I ran forward and pulled her fingers apart, grabbing the paper. With shaking hands I unfolded it, then dropped to my knees, spreading out the note I could see five letters.

She's the last one. Ever.

A/N

Okay thank you all so much! I have 777 reads, kinda crazy right! Well Thanks so much, also my good friend isabella_bus07 has now created a new book called A Plane Ticket To You. Check it out! It's fantastic!

Word Count: 945

First Updated: 3/2/23- 10:53 AM

Second Updated: 3/2/23- 8:56 PM

Last Updated: 3/4/23- (adding the banner)