Chapter Thirty- One

A/N

Hey guys. This has been a long week but I'm hopefully getting back into the rut of regular (ish) chapters.

1/2 Updates: Easter Special!

Song: If We Have Each Other- Alec Benjamin

Newt's POV:

We made it to the Pit and I noticed that Annie went straight up to the 'cell' where Thomas was locked up.

"Thomas?" She whispered. My light was shining and it gave an eerie glow onto the bars of the Pit. Soon after she whispered his name Thomas's face popped up engulfed in the glow of my lantern.

"Annie, what are you doing here?" He said, then turned to me. "Newt?"

"Hey, mate." I nodded my head up.

"Annie, why are ya smiling?" Thomas asked.

"What?" she said suddenly, "I'm not smiling."

Caught in action.

I chuckle a little bit and she looks back at me, "shut up," She said, rolling her eyes.

"What are you guys doing here?" Thomas asked again.

"We just wanted to talk to you," I said,

"Well I really wanted to talk to you," Annie said emphasizing the 'I'.

"But I had some questions too," I added.

"Yeah,"

I came over to the Pit and crouched across from Annie, resting my arm on the wooden bars and sat the lantern down at my feet.

"Can I ask you a question Greenie?" I asked the brown haired boy.

"Yeah, you said you had some questions so I was expecting something,"

"We- " I started.

"Okay smart boy," Annie cut me off from speaking.

"Why did you go into the Maze?" I asked him, he cocked his head to the side, "It was a daft thing to do, you could have been killed."

"I couldn't let them get killed," he said raising his hand a bit.

"But you didn't even know them," Annie said.

"That doesn't mean I can't stop them from dying,"

"Still, you didn't even know them," Annie said again.

"How did you know they wouldn't just like leave you behind if something happened in there."

"I could see the pact you all have, you would sacrifice anything to save one another." He said.

A look was shared between Annie and I. I could hardly see her eyes but what I could see was beauty, I could stare at those eyes all day. There was something different about them now, she had tears in them now. I saw one escape and her hand come up to nonchalantly wipe it away while also pushing a strand of her red hair behind her ear. If you hadn't been watching you wouldn't have noticed that she had shed a tear. Sometimes I just wanted to grab her up and just give her a big hug telling her how much I lo-.

No. You can't, don't do that to yourself.

"I can see ya both would sacrifice anything to save each other." Thomas said cutting off my thoughts.

"Am I interrupting something," A voice squeaked from behind us.

"Nope, come on over Chuck." Annie said turning her gaze away.

"Hey Chuck," I reached into my trousers pocket and pulled out a small homemade wooden figuring. "I found in the lunch room, I assume it belongs to you."