*Two*

After showering and shaving the way Mandy instructed, I went to my room to dry my hair. It was long and thick, and took forever, so I couldn't take up the one bathroom in the trailer all that time. It made me miss the tiny apartment I'd had all to myself before Mama's last boyfriend moved out, leaving her helpless and alone.

I didn't mind moving back home to help her, not too much, anyway. But that was before she found Gary.

I should've known she couldn't stay single for more than five minutes, and the more he hung around, the less I wanted to be here. His racist, homophobic, misogynistic comments didn't seem to rub Mama's nerves the way they did mine, she just ignored them.

Maybe he'd move in and I could get the hell out of here soon. Living alone, taking care of myself with my needs as a top priority had been amazing—God forbid Mama ever learn to be alone.

Listening to the two of them in the living room, he spoke as though he was talking to a servant, but Mama sounded happy enough to serve him, so I guessed that was her problem.

I finished my hair and makeup, with only ten minutes left before I expected Tre. I threw my robe on the bed and yanked open my underclothes drawer. Rifling through, I looked for anything that resembled what Mandy had suggested. It wasn't like anyone would see them, but she'd know if I lied about it later. I was a terrible liar.

Finding a miniscule triangle of lavender lace with thin elastic straps, I sighed and stepped into it, sliding the thong up my smooth legs. Then I dug out the matching bra and put it on. Studying myself in the mirror, I huffed.

It was definitely not a bra for working in, or moving, or doing anything if your boobs were as big as mine. The cups barely covered anything; they were purely decorative. I imagined Tre seeing me and wondered what he'd think? My breasts were the one part of me that Jason never had an ugly comment about.

I made some adjustments until the bra held them high. The lace edge of the panty was folded under and when I fixed it, my fingertip brushed over the smooth skin there, surprising me. It felt kind of nice. Maybe I'd keep shaving just for myself.

The tiny see-through material did nothing to hide my tummy, though. Or the way my hips curved too far out under the string. I ran my fingertips over the inside of my thigh, remembering Jason pinching there and frowning.

It didn't matter. Tre would never see any of this. I stopped worrying about what he'd think and focused on covering it before he arrived.

I found the dark blue dress Mandy liked in the back of the closet and slipped it on. It was shorter than anything I'd usually wear, and the low-cut top wasn't doing anything to cover the cleavage, but I was decent. When I walked, I liked the way the soft material slipped side to side on my bare ass, and then immediately felt weird for having that thought.

I felt different. More feminine. Maybe Mandy knew what she was talking about sometimes, but I already knew I didn't like sex, and there'd be no surprises there. I wasn't letting anyone guilt or push me into anything anymore. I'd be an old cat lady before I let myself get stuck in that position again.

Tires crunched on the gravel beside the trailer, and I shoved my feet into sandals, snatched my purse off the dresser, and ran for the door. I didn't want Tre to be subjected to Gary or Mama. There was no telling what horrible shit that ass-hat might say if he saw a black man picking me up.

As I got to the car, Tre's eyes widened, and he leaned over to push the door open for me. When I sat, he said, "I would've come to the door, you know?"

"Thanks. I just didn't want to make you bother with them." I waved my hand at the trailer.