*Fifteen*

Over the last two days, Tia's Diner had become my favorite place to be. Well, when the choice was that or home, it was my favorite.

I'd even picked up some extra shifts. If seeing Tre was out of the question, I might as well pull a double and make more money. The faster I saved, the faster I could get out of that depressing, claustrophobic trailer.

It hadn't always been that way. For years, it was my safe space. No matter what, I could go there, spend time with Mama, and feel better. There was usually some random new guy hanging out, but most of them weren't like Gary.

They were more likely to be lazy idiots than disgusting jerks. I could deal with that. I'd tell Mama she could do better, but I'd pick dumb and sweet over hateful any day of the week.

For now, the more I stayed gone, the easier it was on Mama too. She never mentioned it, but I saw her running herself ragged trying to stay between Gary and me. Fake cheer and inane chatter was her go-to—it seemed exhausting.

Since Tre dropped me off the other day, I'd done what I could to avoid Gary. I hid in my room, unless I was leaving, or using the restroom, and I did my best to shower late or early while the rest of the house slept. I even had most of my meals at the diner.

Carlos didn't care. He never charged me if I ate there on work days—even if I came in before my shift for breakfast. When I told him about needing a different night off than Tuesdays, so I could see my boyfriend during the week, he grumbled, but quickly changed next week's schedule.

Now, I stood in the dining area, leaning my elbow against the far end of the counter. I surveyed the late breakfast customers making sure no one needed anything before I pulled the buzzing phone from my pocket. It was a text from Tre, and tingles filled me just at the sight of his name on the screen.

He'd spent Sunday finishing up a couple of paintings people requested. Apparently, he'd planned to finish them on Friday, but he'd pushed them off while we were together. Mondays were when he spent most of the day at Canvas Creations, preparing things for the week and ordering supplies.

That meant it'd been two whole days since we'd seen each other, and it was weird in a wonderful sort of way to realize how much I missed him. He must've felt the same, because he texted regularly just to ask how my day was going, and he called when I was driving home so we could talk before we went to bed.

Tre: Good morning, baby.

Gemma: Morning! I'm excited about seeing you today!

Tre: I'm sorry. Imani's sick. I have to lead her class, so I can't make it for lunch.

Disappointment replaced the tingles, but he couldn't help it. Of course, he'd fill in. I couldn't expect him to cancel an entire class just to have lunch here when I'd barely have time for him anyway. That would be crazy. My brain knew it meant nothing, but that didn't keep my eyes from burning.

The bells jingled at the entrance, and I turned away to give myself a second to control my ridiculous emotions and send a response before dealing with the new customers. Thank goodness, the few I already had were seated on the opposite side of the room, paying me no attention.

Although, crying might improve tips—Mandy would say run with it. I shook my head and took a slow breath.

Gemma: That's okay. Maybe tomorrow.

I hit send and squeezed my eyes shut to ease the sting. A hand slid over my hip, pulling me back against a large frame. I jumped in reflex, but the scent of paint and something woodsy surrounded and relaxed me.

Tre's nose brushed over my neck as his arms circled me and he hummed softly. "I love when you wear your hair up." He hugged me tighter. "And this ass, goddamn."