*Twenty Seven*

It seemed like Tre's alarm sounded right after I fell asleep. He shut it off and leaned up on his elbow to kiss my cheek. Soft morning light lit the room, and I could tell by his tense expression, that my injuries hadn't improved over night.

"I'll cancel my class and stay home."

"What? No. You can't do that. Don't you have a field trip coming in?"

He shrugged. "I'll refund their money."

"No, Tre. I'll feel bad if you cancel on a bunch of kids." I cupped his cheek and pulled him closer to peck his lips. "Thank you, though."

His brow furrowed, but he relented. "Fine. I'll be home around lunch." He brushed my hair off my shoulder and kissed it. "You'll stay here while I'm gone?"

"Yeah, I think I'm going to sleep some more."

"You should." He rolled to his feet. After freshening up in the bathroom and getting dressed, he stopped beside me, bending down to kiss my cheek. "I love you. Call me if you need anything." He walked to the door.

"Tre." I stopped him before he could open it. "You're only going to work and then back here, right?"

"Yep."

He answered a little too quickly, and my stomach twisted in knots. I pushed up to sit and met his gaze. "Promise me."

His jaw flexed, and I knew my guess was right. He had another stop planned. After a deep breath, he met my stare. "Fine. I promise, Gemma."

"Thanks." I gave him the best smile I could. "I love you."

"I love you, baby." He kissed me once more and left.

I lay there thinking about what I should do. I couldn't sleep, so I decided a shower might help relax me. If it didn't, at least it'd use up some time until Tre returned.

After I showered and redressed in Tre's clothes, I dried and straightened my hair using the hairdryer Tre bought and kept under the counter just for me. The back of my head was tender, which was frustrating, but at least that mark didn't show.

I'd done my best to that point not to look at myself too closely. But as I stood in front of the mirror, I couldn't help but lean in and study the bruised spots on my neck where Gary's fingertips had dug in. Then the green blotch that covered the corner of my left eye and my cheekbone.

If I had any makeup, I'd try to cover it before Tre got home. He'd already seen it, but seeing it more wouldn't help anything. Unfortunately, I wasn't the kind of girl that carried any in her purse. I had a Chapstick, but that wouldn't fix this situation. My eyes burned with tears.

While Tre wasn't there to see it, I'd have a good cry, but that would be it. No more crying later. Living with Tre and Carey would be better than living with Mama even if last night hadn't happened. In the end it was for the best.

I got a tissue from the shelf and headed to the bed, stopping to grab my cell on the way. One missed call and two texts from Mama were on my notifications list. I sighed. After dwelling on it all night, I still wasn't sure what upset me the most—worry about her living with him, or that she let him stay.

Crawling onto the middle of the mattress, I opened my texts. The first one and the missed call both came in last night.

Mama: Are you ok, sugar? I'm so sorry.

Then while I was in the shower.

Mama: This is still your home. Gary feels real bad about what he done.

He feels bad? That was it. The tears spilled over, flooding my cheeks. I dropped the phone and fell to my side, sobbing.

What was wrong with her? Did she really think he felt bad? Or that it would fix anything if he did?