*Twenty Five*

The cute redhead waved over her dad's shoulder as they exited the diner. I pocketed their tip before stacking the dishes, and while I wiped a soapy rag over the sticky mess they left behind, my mind wandered to Tre. The last couple of weeks were a blur of work, and seeing him as much as possible. Being at his house usually included hanging out with Carey too, and that was awesome.

There was a flirty vibe between the three of us I'd gotten used to, and even enjoyed, but it wasn't really talked about. Everyone was just cool with it.

Even if things were weird, I'd rather be there than home. I mentally tallied the amount of money I needed to save before apartment hunting, like I did every time I thought of Gary. I'd need the first month, last month, a security deposit, and enough for the first month's utilities. If I could find a small one bedroom, I was probably halfway there!

In the kitchen, I dropped the dishes in the sink as Mandy rushed in the employee entrance. "I'm sorry! Dad's appointment ran twice as long as it should've." She yanked her apron from her cubby and tied it around her thin waist.

"No worries. What did the doctor say?"

"The usual. If he'd take his damn medicine like he's supposed to, we wouldn't be having these problems. I swear, I'm gonna have to go over there twice a day to watch him take them." Mandy huffed, and my heart ached for her. She always looked after her dad, and he didn't make it easy.

"Well, don't worry about this place. I don't mind helping. Tre and I aren't going out for a few more hours, anyway."

She grinned. "And what will you and Mr. Tall-Dark-and-Tasty be doing tonight?"

"Going to a movie, I think. It doesn't really matter. We always have fun together."

"I bet you do!" Mandy bumped me with her hip. "If I were you, I'd never leave his house. You've got two fine ass men over there." She leaned closer. "I bet Carey's one of those guys that doesn't bother with a shirt unless he's going somewhere. Isn't he?"

Her eyebrows waggled, and I cracked up. "Sorry to disappoint you, but he's fully dressed."

"What a waste." She cackled. "Is Brittany out there?"

"Yeah, she's doing great."

"Good. I don't feel like carrying everything tonight." Mandy frowned and her shoulders drooped.

"Do you need me to stay? You could rest."

She tilted her head and clicked her tongue. "Abso-fuckin-lutley not. I'll see you tomorrow morning. I'm opening too."

"If you're sure..."

"Go!"

"Okay!" I untied my apron and grabbed my purse. "Bye!"

"Bye, girl! Have fun." Mandy hollered as she turned the corner toward the dining room.

***

Three hours later, Tre and I were in line to buy tickets for the newest superhero movie.

"Popcorn?" He squinted toward the concession menu on the far wall.

"Definitely! Theater popcorn is the best!"

He bought the tickets and slid his wallet back into his pocket. I held his bicep. "I wish you'd let me pay sometimes. At least let me buy the snacks."

"Thank you, but no."

I narrowed my eyes, and he kissed my forehead. "You're saving to move, and I'd rather you did that."

A few minutes later, Tre carried a large popcorn, and I had our drink. "Thanks for getting all this."

"It's not a big deal, baby."