*Forty Four*

After pulling a double Thursday and working this morning, it was finally party time! I hadn't seen Carey for days, but he'd be at Mandy's birthday party. An entire night to dress up and have fun with my favorite people.

By the time I put the finishing touches on my lip gloss, I was bouncing on my toes with excitement.

Stepping back against the bathroom door, I stood on my toes to see as much of my outfit as I could in the mirror. The forest green dress clung to my body like a second skin, but it was stretchy enough to be comfortable, and the bra I bought to go with the plunging neckline was doing its job.

Dark hair spilled over my shoulder in waves and my makeup was on point. Eyeliner that curved up at the edges gave me a pretty, doe-eyed look and the thin pop of emerald shadow matched the dress and made my eyes brighter.

All I needed was my shoes. Opening the door, I went into the bedroom closet and found the black, strappy heels I hardly ever wore, and took them from their box.

As I entered the bedroom, Tre was leaning against the doorframe, waiting for me. His fitted black pants and gray button up hugged his strong thighs and wide shoulders. I moved closer and noticed the pattern of tiny, black palm leaves on his shirt—it was cute, but the fit was what sent a shiver up my spine.

"You look amazing," I said, and tore my attention from his body to smile up at him. He was watching me with his lip pinched between his teeth, and said nothing. I glanced down at myself, suddenly unsure. Maybe the dress was too much. That'd make sense after shopping with Mandy. Anything would seem tame next to her ribbon dress. That didn't mean it was appropriate for a night at the local bar.

"Baby..."

"Is it too much?" I glanced back at the closet. "I can find something else to wear if it's over the top."

"No!" I flinched, and he chuckled. "I mean, you look incredible. Don't change."

He moved closer and slid his hands from my hips to my chest, where he cupped my breasts and brushed his thumbs between the exposed cleavage, making my heart race. "Fuck, baby." He lifted my chin to meet my gaze. "You're stunning."

My face heated as I beamed up at him. "Thank you."

His mouth lowered to mine in a gentle kiss that quickly became more. My pulse pounded as I slipped my hand up over his stomach to the back of his neck, encouraging the deep kisses and the way he explored the edges of the dress. My toes curled into the soft carpet as his fingers moved under the short skirt to caress the curves where my thighs met my ass.

He pulled back, breathing heavily. "We need to get going now or we're going to be very late." I giggled as he stepped back and scanned my dress again. "I'm not letting you out of my sight tonight."

"Good." I grinned and took his hand.

He pointed at my bare feet. "Forgetting something?"

"Oh, yeah."

I turned toward the closet to get my shoes, but he didn't release me. Instead, he stepped closer and smiled. His fingers slid down my arm and I shivered—maybe he'd decided we could be a little late.

But then he plucked the heels from my grasp, and I giggled. "It's not my fault. You're distracting. How's a girl supposed to think with you—" My jaw dropped as he knelt in front of me. "What are you doing?"

"I'm helping you put your shoes on."

Warmth blossomed in my chest as he lifted my leg with his hand behind my knee. "You don't have to."

He ignored me and slipped the shoe on. I watched as his large hands fastened the tiny buckle at my ankle. "There." He kissed my thigh and moved to the other leg. With that one buckled, he left a trail of kisses up the inside of my thigh until his nose brushed the bottom of my dress.