*Twenty Four*

We ate, drank, and talked for the next hour at the round, four-person kitchen table. Tre and I tried to explain Witch's Brew to Carey, but he refused to admit how amazing it was.

"I don't get it. If they're magic, they can do whatever they want. Why wouldn't they leave all the BS behind and live somewhere else?" Carey leaned back as though he'd made a brilliant point.

I rolled my eyes. "What are they supposed to do? Run away with the circus?" The thought of the regal characters doing party tricks under the big top made me laugh.

Tre rubbed my thigh under the table and grinned. "You really get giggly."

"I told you." Carey snickered, and when I met his gaze, the soft look he gave me caused a tingle in my chest. My cheeks warmed with the resulting blush and his perfectly shaped cupid's bow lips curved up at the corner.

Weaving my fingers through Tre's where they rested on my leg, I struggled to remember what I'd been saying. "Kaliri and Bastion can't just leave. They both have family and friends, people they feel responsible for."

"So they're supposed to stay to protect people in a town where they could be killed for having the magic they use to protect them?" Carey scoffed. "That's stupid."

"It's noble. They're sacrificing their own wants for the needs of others." How could he not understand that?

"Others who don't care enough about them to want them to be happy." Carey had a point. My jaw clenched.

"You're both right." Tre tugged me closer and kissed my temple. "We're going to watch some more after we clean up. You should hang out with us."

"Okay." Carey stood and stacked our plates. "But no getting your panties in a wad when I point out plot flaws."

"Don't worry about my panties." I stuck my tongue out at him.

Tre chuckled and collected the empty bottles. "Now, kids. No fighting."

***

We sat on the couch with Carey at one end, and me curled into Tre's side at the other. It felt surprisingly natural. That could've been the alcohol and weed, but I didn't care. Whatever social lubricant made this work was fine with me. Once the new wore off, things would be easier.

After the first episode of Witch's Brew, Carey was totally hooked. "Okay. I still think they should leave, but I get why they stay."

Tre paused the TV before the next episode could start. "I'm going to grab some stuff to work on while we watch."

He set his beer aside and paced to the hall, disappearing toward his painting room. Carey grabbed what they'd left of the blunt from earlier off the end table. "Do you care?"

"Nope. Have at it. I'm done though."

He turned and knelt on the sofa to reach up and open the window a crack. His shirt pulled up and my eyes glued to the exposed bit of his tan torso. Was there a part of him that wasn't covered in muscle?

A throat cleared. I flinched and looked up at a smirking Carey. He winked. "You like what you see?"

"Shut up." I glanced away and willed my spreading blush to stop—it didn't work.

Carey flopped back on his end of the couch. "That wasn't a no." The flick of his lighter preceded a long inhale, then he tossed the lighter on the table. "I'm just playing, Gem. Don't look so grumpy."

I crossed my arms, and he snorted. "Yeah, do that. You seem totally chill and not at all grumpy." Carey leaned over, poking at my side, tickling me. I smacked his hand away, but couldn't stop my laugh. "That's better."