*Fourteen*

Less than an hour later, we were parked in front of Mama's trailer. Tre couldn't pull into the driveway because a small moving truck had taken the space. They'd left the back door rolled up, exposing the empty interior.

"Are you guys moving?" Tre asked.

I scoffed. "I wish. That must be Gary moving in. He told Mama he was going to take care of her." Bile rose in my throat at the thought of living under the same roof as that disgusting man.

"Is that the guy from when I picked you up?"

The memory of Gary's rough shove knocking me through the door made me clench my teeth. Not to mention, my shoulder still hurt when I moved it a certain way from when I hit the wall the other day. At least it hadn't bruised.

I inhaled slowly. Gary wouldn't cause problems for me with Tre. I refused to let him. But that meant either Tre shouldn't come here anymore or I needed to tell him what a jerk Gary was, so he wouldn't try to treat him like a normal person and be polite.

"Gemma?" Tre patted my thigh. "Everything okay?"

Puffing out my cheeks, I blew out a slow stream of air. "Not really." I shifted sideways in my seat to face him directly. "Please don't think less of me or even Mama. I don't know what the hell is wrong with her. She always latches onto the first guy that shows an interest in a relationship and it's instant love for her every time, but Gary is by far the biggest piece of shit she's ever wasted her time on, and I know she doesn't agree with the things he says."

Over Tre's shoulder, the curtain in the front window twitched. Mama wouldn't spy on me. It had to be Gary—speak of the devil. I glared but couldn't spot him peeking at us through the sheer material.

Tre shifted, blocking my view. "Don't worry. No one can see in here. What does he say?"

"It's not worth repeating. I'll just start waiting outside when you're coming so he can't bother us."

"Ah. He doesn't like that you're dating a black guy."

I cringed. "Pretty sure he doesn't like anything about me."

"Is that why he pushed—"

"It was nothing." Embarrassment burned in my stomach. I didn't want him to think Mama and I were trash. "I tripped, that's all."

As I traced the veins in his forearm with my fingertip, Tre studied me. "If you say so. But I hope you'll tell me if you trip again."

Tre's frown was so out of character, I regretted saying anything. "I can't care about Gary and I hope you won't either." I undid my seatbelt and leaned closer to Tre. "You're the best thing that's happened to me in a long time."

His expression lightened, and his mouth curved into a smile. "I've been thinking the same thing about you."

Butterflies took flight in my stomach as Tre pinched my t-shirt and tugged me closer until his lips met mine. His warm palm slid up my nape, tipping my head and giving him access to leave a trail of open-mouthed kisses down to the curve of my neck.

"That feels so good." Under his shirt, I caressed the smooth skin of his hard stomach. Then hugged him close, digging my fingers into his thick muscles, pressing my chest to his—any space between us felt like too much.

He grasped my hair, holding me tightly in place. He'd been so patient and careful with me, knowing I was nervous, but not now. Tre didn't ask for permission as his hands roamed my body. He took what he knew I'd willingly give. It was a glimpse into a version of him I couldn't wait to spend more time with.

"I can't get enough of you." His sweet words followed by the feeling of his tongue moving over my racing pulse pulled a soft moan from me as warmth pooled between my legs.