*Twenty Eight*

I stared at Tre's back, wishing I could push him out the door, but we'd still have to pass Gary. He was supposed to be Mama's problem now, not mine. I just wanted to leave. Five damn minutes was all we'd needed and we could've been gone before he showed up.

"Dara!"

I flinched as Gary yelled at Mama. Carey held my shoulders, keeping me with him. "It's okay." The words were barely a sound as tension radiated from him.

"Why the hell would you let this in my home?" Gary sneered at Tre, but directed his words at Mama.

She shifted a step to the side, putting herself between Tre and Gary. "My daughter came to get her stuff." Mama's voice quivered. "She's movin' out."

"Well, I hope you kept an eye on things. Make sure nothing of ours goes missing."

Tre scoffed. "I don't want anything of yours."

Gary looked at Tre like he was a dirty diaper floating in a punch bowl. I wanted to tell him off, but the image of Gary's brother in his police uniform filled my mind, and it turned my stomach.  These were exactly the type of people I didn't want anywhere near Tre.

I pinched the back of Tre's shirt, tugging. "Please," I whispered, "let's just go."

His broad shoulders rose and fell with a deep breath, but he reached for my hand. Carey released me as Tre started toward the door, carrying the bag of things I'd emptied from my drawers. I only had my small lamp.

I should've just left this stuff. Tre had lights, and all new underclothes would've been worth the money if I'd known it meant avoiding this situation.

Having Carey behind me was a relief. At least I knew Gary couldn't grab my hair again as I passed him. I glanced back, and Carey gave me an encouraging wink.

We were almost to the door when Gary stopped Tre. "I'm gonna need to see that. We might oughta get the police over here to check the cars too."

"Gary, all of it come from her room." Mama sighed.

Ignoring her, Gary reached for the bag, but Tre pulled it away and shook his head. "You're not touching Gemma or any of her things."

Gary reached out again. "You're in my house, boy."

"I'm no boy." Tre dropped the bag and shoved Gary back with one hand in the center of his chest.

The giant man stumbled and landed on his ass. Mama shrieked and covered her cheeks with her palms. Tre let go of me, and I stood there in frozen panic.

With his face flaming red, Gary got to his feet. "Goddamn nigger!" He swung his fist at Tre, and I screamed. Raising the lamp over my head, I aimed the square metal bottom at Gary's head.

Tre was closer. He had no problem dodging the punch and shoving Gary back for a second time, as an arm went around my waist before I could finish my swing.

My feet left the floor, and I was pushed into Tre's chest. Carey stood with one hand pressing me against Tre and the other held out toward Gary, warning him to stay back.

"You two go on before someone ends up arrested." Carey's voice was so calm, I wondered if he'd seen what was happening here. He nudged us toward the exit without taking his eyes off Gary. "We're not having a family brawl."

Tre grabbed my bag from the floor and started toward the door. I'd have loved to see Gary get what he deserved, but Carey was right, and Gary wasn't worth it.

"I ain't got no niggers or whores in my family." Gary spit.

Mama said, "Just stop it, Gary!"

We'd almost made it to the porch. Tre's step faltered, but Carey kept a hand on his back. "You're better than him. Don't waste your time."