*Twelve*

Two hours later, the kids were gone, the room and paint supplies were clean, and Tre and I were waving goodbye to Imani and her wife Gloria as they drove away.

I'd been surprised when Gloria turned out to be a studious looking Asian woman—not someone I would've automatically pictured with Imani. Gloria was classically pretty with delicate features and a gentle disposition, where Imani's beauty had a fierce, take no prisoners quality.

Gloria's straight-laced style and demeanor seemed more suitable for a partner in a law office who wore power suits, not a free-spirited artist like Imani, but there was no denying the chemistry between them. Love shone so brightly in their eyes when they looked at each other, they practically glowed.

I stood beside Tre, watching his forearm muscles ripple under his dark skin as he locked Canvas Creations, and I wondered if I looked at him that way—like my world improved the minute he became a part of it—it'd only be the truth. As a friend, he'd been someone I looked forward to seeing, but in less than a week, he'd become someone I couldn't imagine losing.

His sweet encouragement and unwavering patience were a balm to my battered ego. Tre made me feel like I was enough, like my thoughts and emotions mattered. He made me feel like I had a right to be proud of myself.

He looked at me and his mouth kicked up on one side. "What?"

"Nothing." I shook my head, trying to clear it. "I was just thinking."

"About what?" He draped his arm over my shoulders and led me to his car.

I considered saying nothing again, but why not tell him the truth? If my breakdown didn't scare him off, surely this wouldn't be the last straw. I turned to face him after he opened the passenger door. "About how perfect you are."

He beamed at me, stepping closer until I leaned against the car looking up to meet his gaze. He said, "I'm not perfect, but maybe we're perfect for each other."

I grinned, and he leaned down, pressing his lips to mine in a sweet kiss that quickly became more. His tongue teased mine, and I wrapped my fingers around his nape, pulling him closer as I tucked my hand under his shirt, feeling the muscles in his back shift with each movement.

Tre made an encouraging sound as his strong thigh eased between my legs, pressing into my sex, while he slipped a palm between my ass and the car, cupping me, rubbing me against him with a rhythm that made me wish we were somewhere more private than an empty parking lot.

With a quiet growl, Tre pulled away, resting his forehead on mine. "I wish you didn't have to work tonight."

"And all day tomorrow." I frowned. "But I'm off next weekend."

"I'll see you before then, even if it's just at the diner. I can't wait a week."

His words made my face warm, and he brushed his fingers over what had to be reddened cheeks as he said, "Let me take you to lunch before you have to go home?"

"Okay!" I wasn't ready to say goodbye to him.

Tre stepped back, letting me settle in the car before he closed my door and strolled to the driver's side. For a few minutes, we quietly listened to the radio, and I basked in a feeling of total contentment.

Then my mind wandered back to Tre's studio. "Imani and Gloria are nice. Have you known them for long?"

"Oh yeah, Imani was one of the first people I hired. She helped me get everything running and eventually helped train the other artists that lead classes."

Tre reached over the center console, weaving his fingers between mine, and I rested my head against his shoulder. "Was she already married to Gloria?"

"No, they met a few years ago and had a commitment ceremony last year."

"So they're not married?"

He stopped at a red light and kissed the top of my head. "They talked about it and how there's always some politician promising to take away marriage equality, and decided they'd rather have a commitment ceremony. No one can take that from them."

My stomach soured. "No one should be able to tell anyone who they can or can't love. With so many things wrong in this country, that's what people want to worry about? They should mind their own damn business."

The light changed to green, and Tre chuckled as he continued down the road. I sat up to look at him. "What's funny?"

"I've never heard you angry."

I narrowed my eyes, and he smirked. "It's pretty hot, actually. I like it." He rubbed his thumb over my wrist. "If it helps, their ceremony was exactly what they wanted. They're happy with it."

"That's good. They should've had the choice to do whatever they wanted, though."

"I agree." Tre nodded as he pulled into a parking spot in front of a deli a few miles from his house. "Have you ever been here?"

"Nope." I exited the car and met him on the sidewalk, where he retook my hand and led us toward the restaurant.

"Everything is good, but their French dip is my favorite, if you like those." He opened the door and the bells dangling from the handle made a cheery sound.

An older man behind the counter said, "Welcome! You have a to-go order or you're dining in?"

"We'll dine in, thanks," Tre answered.

"Alright. You let me know when you're ready."

I glanced around the modest dining room with a family-style feel. Red and white patterned clothes covered the tables and random bits of kitchen antiques covered the walls—metal colanders, wooden cutting boards, tiny shelves with glass Coke bottles—it was cute.

The booths held an older crowd that seemed to know each other and chatted across the room. Two games of checkers sat out and a rocking chair in the corner had a cup of coffee beside it, probably belonging to the man working here. The vibe was homey and comfortable; I loved it.

Tre stood behind me with his arms folded over my shoulders as I read the menu posted on the wall behind the counter, and he pointed out his favorite things. I decided on half an Italian club and a cup of minestrone. Tre ordered for us both and paid.

"I'm going to run to the restroom," Tre whispered. "You can pick a table and I'll grab the food when it comes out or wait here, either way."

"I'll wait here."

He pecked my cheek before disappearing around the corner. A few seconds later, I was eavesdropping on a lighthearted argument over who had the best garden, and trying not to giggle at the subtle jabs, when the bells behind me jingled, signaling another customer.

I moved to the side without looking to give them room to order, but huge arms wrapped around my waist, lifting me off my feet and making me screech. A few heads turned and the hard chest pressing into my back shook with laughter.

"Don't worry, fellas. It's not a kidnapping."

I relaxed as I recognized the voice, and Carey lowered me to my feet. Twisting around, I punched his bicep. "You scared me, you idiot."

"Aww, come on, Gem. Don't be crabby." He poked my nose and my tummy tingled as I swatted his hand away.

Undeterred, he grabbed a loose bit of my hair and twirled it around his finger. "I wasn't expecting to see you and got excited."

"What are you doing here?" I worked to keep my voice even. Normally, I'd have prepared myself for seeing him, but this was unexpected, and nerves were forcing my voice to go high as I accidentally scanned his drool-worthy gray sweatpants, sleeveless muscle shirt combo.

He'd had this effect on me since I was twelve years old, and he was fifteen. It only got worse as he became hotter with age.

Not that it mattered. He was a good friend. I wouldn't waste that, and Carey had never seen me as more, anyway.

Distracted by his sudden appearance, I only stared blankly as Tre paced to my side with a furrowed brow, and I stood there with my hair wrapped around Carey's finger.

How do you think Tre will react to Carey? Comment and let me know! 👀

And hit the star if you're excited to find out!⭐️⭐️⭐️