*Fifty Four*

Tre and I had barely spoken since Joe left. Tre seemed to be holding his frustration in, and I didn't press him about it—I'd save that for when it was just the three of us.

But I needed a break from the tension rolling off of him. "I'll go grab us a soda."

"Okay, baby," he murmured without looking away from the blinds he was rehanging after Gary left them hanging halfway off.

As I strolled to the kitchen, I heard Mama and Carey talking softly. She sounded upset, and I slowed to hear what they was going on.

"... all this. A mama should be someone you go to for help, not the other way around." She sniffed. "I'm so sorry for all of it."

"It's over now."

I peeked around the corner to see them both hunched over the kitchen table, gluing one of her angels together. Carey sighed as he fitted another piece into place. "You know Gem. She's too sweet to hold a grudge."

"She is."

I rolled my eyes, but I could hear the sincerity in her tone.

"You boys comin' and doin' all this means a lot. I wouldn't blame either of you for staying away."

"As long as Gem's cool with everything, so are we, and she loves you. Relax, Dara. Things can only get better from here."

It warmed my heart to hear Carey being supportive of my mama. Guilt for eavesdropping started poking at my stomach, but before I could move, Mama said, "She loves you too, always has. And now Tre."

My feet froze in place as Carey glanced up at her, but said nothing as he spread some glue over the ceramic.

"It's all over her face. The three of you weren't hidin' it."

"No, I guess not." Carey reached for another piece of the glittery wing.

Mama sighed. "I won't lie. It was a surprise."

"I bet." Discomfort was clear in his voice and I wondered if it would be worse to interrupt and have him realize I'd been listening or just let him handle it.

"I know how you was raised. It must'a been a hard thing to realize you care for a man, a black man at that, and a woman." She let out a soft whistle. "The three of you together. Can you imagine what'll be said?"

Guilt became a full attack of nerves, twisting my stomach and threatening to make me sick. I wanted to make her stop talking, but I clamped my mouth shut. If Mama could say something to change his mind about us, I'd rather know now.

Carey took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. "Yeah, I've thought about that a lot."

Mama flicked his ear, making him jump in surprise, and I almost laughed out loud. She shook her head. "Well, cut it out."

Carey snickered. "Not sure it's that easy, but I'm trying."

"Try harder." She twisted the lid onto the superglue. "What would those same people say about me and Gary?"

Carey's jaw flexed, clearly not loving the thought of them together.

"They'd say it was right because of how we looked. But it wasn't good, and I sure as hell wasn't happy or loved." She rested her hand on his shoulder. "I've only watched the three of you for a day, but it's easy to see how happy you are. Gemma practically glows."

"Yeah? You think?" He grinned and leaned back in his chair, finished with the little statue.

"It's true. And that's all that matters." She stood and wiped the bits of ceramic dust off the table into her hand. "Take care of each other. Screw everyone else."