*Thirty Eight*

I yawned and stretched as Tre nudged me toward a stool before pouring us each a cup of coffee. "I could do that."

"You'll be serving people all day. Let me take care of you for a few minutes first."

My heart melted at his sweet gesture as I watched his back muscles shift with his movements. Shirtless Tre was one of my favorite things about mornings. He reached for the sugar, and my fingers itched to touch him.

I squeezed my thighs together. "You already took care of me for a lot longer than a few minutes."

Warmth crawled over my cheeks as Tre turned to me with a smirk. He set our mugs on the bar before coming around to stand behind me. Wrapping me in his arms, he kissed my neck. "I love your hair up high. There's nothing stopping me from doing this." The tip of his tongue tickled the back of my neck, making me squirm and giggle. He chuckled and kissed me before sitting with his hand on my leg.

Tracing his fingers with mine, I sighed. "Our weekends off together go by too fast."

"I know. But we'll both be back here tonight." His palm slipped farther up my thigh as he leaned closer. "Maybe it can be my turn to help you in the shower."

Tingles filled my chest at the suggestion, and the reminder of my time in the shower with Carey the other day. I turned to look at his closed bedroom door. "He was barely around all weekend. Do you think he's avoiding us?"

Tre frowned. "I don't think so. Most of his clients like weekend appointments. I'm sure he was just busy."

Unease weighed on my shoulders. He didn't seem to be away that much every weekend—gone early and out late. He'd hardly done more than stop by for lunch. Who meets their personal trainer at nine on a Saturday night?

Carey had plenty of friends. He might've been doing something with them, but why wouldn't he just say that?

"I'm sure it's nothing." Tre pulled me closer to kiss my cheek. "Why don't you ask him if it upsets you?"

"No. I don't want to bother him or nag." I sipped my coffee. "It's just..."

"You miss him, baby. It's okay to say it."

I picked at the little chip on the mug's handle. "I know. It's just that I had a great weekend with you and I don't want you to think—"

Tre smiled. "You can have fun with me and still miss him. I won't take it personally. I'd hoped he'd be around more too. I like hanging out with him."

I slipped off the stool. Tre turned so I could stand between his legs and pulled me in for a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too." I peeked up at him. "Do you think Carey stayed away because my amazing artistic abilities intimidated him?"

Tre's chuckle rumbled under my cheek. "That might be it. He did have to go pretty quickly after he saw you working on your owl painting."

I giggled. "Once you helped me change it from a realistic owl to a colorful, cartoonish one, things really started falling into place." I gasped. "What if Vivian wants my art instead of yours for her gallery?" Leaning back, I cupped his cheeks. "Oh my gosh, I'd feel terrible." I gave him my best innocent expression.

Tre's beautiful smile wiped away any lingering sadness I felt over Carey, for now. It was sure to return, especially when I was away from them both. But for now, I could just enjoy these last few minutes before I had to go to work.

"That's thoughtful, baby. But if she wants to sell your work, I'll understand. Just don't forget me when you're rich."

"Are you crazy?" I kissed his nose and laced my fingers at the back of his neck. "When I'm rich, we'll quit our regular jobs and have all day to do whatever we want."