*Seventeen*

Tia's Diner was packed with a heavier than usual lunch crowd when the back of my neck tingled and I turned to find Tre at the entrance, watching me. Remembering our conversation earlier, my cheeks heated, and he smirked.

I took a slow breath and tilted my chin toward an empty two seater across the room. He went to the table, while I carried dirty plates back to be washed.

Mandy paused on her way out of the kitchen, holding a heavy tray of food. "If you want to take your break while he's here, go ahead."

"It's too crowded. I'll wait."

She scoffed. "These other bitches will pick up the slack." Mandy turned her glare on the two new waitresses who weren't keeping up. "You hear me, other bitches? Get to work."

One of them straightened and seemed ready for a fight. The other grabbed a tray and the burgers Carlos was plating before rushing past us to deliver the orders.

He looked at the angry one whose name I hadn't bothered to learn, and laughed. "You've been leaning there for the last five minutes. I'm not paying you to hold the counter down. It won't float away."

Angry girl crossed her arms. "There's nothing to deliver."

It was my turn to say something before Mandy lost her shit. "Go on." I smacked her butt. "I got this." She left in a huff and I lifted the tea pitcher, passing it to the scowling waitress. "There's always something to do. Fill the drinks. Make sure no one needs anything. Clear tables. Get their checks. And keep doing that until the dining room is empty."

She rolled her eyes, but took the tea out. Carlos shook his head as he scraped the grill. "I'll be surprised if that one makes it to the end of the shift. The other might be okay. You'll let me know."

"Sure, Carlos. I'll keep an eye on her."

"Good. Now, take a break."

"Thanks." I grinned and left the kitchen. Tre's spotted me as soon as I entered the room, his eyes following me as I wove through the tables to join him.

I leaned across the table for a quick kiss. Tre reached up, cupping my nape and turning my peck into a deep, tongue twisting, panty wetting hello, that made me want to crawl over the table separating us.

When he released me and I melted into my seat, I grabbed his hand and laced our fingers together. "That was the best part of my day."

He chuckled. "Was it? Because I had a pretty nice morning too."

I felt a blush spread down my neck and giggled. "Me too. I was thinking of my workday." I slid my cell from my pocket and set it on the table so it'd quit digging into my butt and I could relax.

Tre glanced around the room. "You guys are packed. What's the deal?"

"I don't know. It's like sometimes everyone remembers Carlos makes the best food all on the same day." I scanned the area. Mandy and New Girl were both helping customers, but Angry Face was nowhere to be seen.

"Something wrong?"

"I just hate sitting while we're so busy." My eyes widened. "Not that I don't want to see you."

He grinned. "I knew what you meant. Go help if you want. I have another hour. Come by when you can."

"You're amazing! I'll bring you some lunch. What would you like?"

"A grilled chicken sandwich would be good. Don't rush for me though, I'm not going anywhere."

"Okay. I'll be back." I kissed his cheek and went to the back.