*Forty*

Tuesday morning, the sound of birds chirping outside the window woke me. Cracking my eyes open, the early morning sun shone on Tre, sleeping twisted on his side with his arms shoved under the pillow and only half his face showing. The soft glow highlighted the dips and curves of his muscular shoulder and the part of his back that escaped the sheet.

It was a beautiful sight and my fingers itched to touch him, but I folded my hands under my cheek instead. I'd let him sleep—neither of us had to be at work for a while—but that didn't stop me from memorizing every delicious inch.

"Why didn't you wake me?"

I jumped and my face warmed as I realized he was watching me study him. His voice was rough with sleep and as he rolled over to stretch, the sheet pulled lower, exposing his abs. My chest fluttered as I silently thanked the universe for sending me this man.

"I was letting you sleep."

He grinned. "You were staring so hard, you might as well have been poking me."

"So, I looked you awake?" I rolled my eyes and smiled as he reached over to pull me to his side. He rested his warm hand on my waist as I circled my fingertip on the soft skin between his pecs.

"It's not your fault." He kissed the top of my head. "I make you so horny, the force of it was pushing on me."

I cracked up. "Oh, my gosh! Someone's full of himself this morning."

His chest shook under my cheek with his laughter. "I love you, baby."

"I love you."

For a few minutes, we lay there happily, waking up and enjoying the quiet. It was a rare treat for both of us to be home in the morning, not having to rush off to work.

"I'll be home late tonight. We have a baby shower starting at eight. Hopefully, that'll be cleaned up by eleven, twelve at the latest."

I frowned up at him. "Bummer. I'm working late on Wednesday and Thursday. I guess we won't get to hang out until Mandy's party on Friday."

"Tomorrow, I don't have to go in at all, so we'll have the morning."

I sighed. "Dang it. That's when Mandy and I are supposed to go shopping. I won't have to leave until close to nine, though."

"That's good. And don't worry about it. We live together." He rolled onto his side, hugging me against him. "We'll still see each other every day."

I smiled and kissed his chest. "Yeah, and if you're sleeping when I get home, I'll just stare at you until you wake up."

He chuckled and reached for his cell on the nightstand to check the time. He sighed. "If you didn't have to leave so soon, I'd show you some other ways you could wake me up."

"Damn work trying to ruin my life." I nipped at his chest and rolled away when he flinched. "If I don't get up now, you're going to make me late."

"Never." His innocent expression made me giggle.

"Uh, huh." I grabbed my t-shirt from the floor and slipped it on before standing. Tre was already strolling into the bathroom, giving me a delightful view of his perfect, round ass. What must it be like to be so comfortable naked?

From inside the bathroom, he said, "Give me a minute, and I'll fix us some breakfast while you get ready."

***

After my morning with Tre, things had taken a steep downhill turn. It was one of those days where the diner was packed and at least half the customers were crabby. The other half needed to adjust everything they ordered—extra this, no that, everything on the side. It was exhausting.