**Epilogue**

*Gemma's POV*

Watching Mama buzz around her room, nervous about her first date in six months, had me almost as excited as my own plans for the night.

She'd become a new person since Gary left. All the best parts of her were still there, but she was confident in her ability to take care of herself and refused to depend on a man ever again.

That's why it took poor Kenny months to get her to agree to a proper date. Until now, they'd only hung out as friends.

"Which earrings do you think, sugar?" Mama held a tiny pink pearl to one ear and a dangling bit of gold beside the other.

"I like the gold." I grinned as she changed her jewelry. "Can you believe Kenny waited so long for you to let him take you to dinner?"

She blew out a calming breath and stood back to look at herself in the mirror. "He's a sweet man. Course, I knew that from the day I met him." She grabbed the brush and went over her hair one more time. "How many teachers buy their whole class presents before each break? He says it's to keep them engaged, but coloring books and word puzzles for poor kids is a gift if you ask me."

"It's a nice thing to do. I'd have been thrilled to get stuff from my teacher in third grade. All Mrs. Brown gave me was mean looks." I giggled and Mama turned with a smile and held her arms out.

"What do you think?"

"You look so pretty!" I stood from the bed and crossed the room to give her a hug. "Now, I have to go get ready for my date."

"What are y'all doin' tonight?"

"Tre made a reservation someplace fancy." I couldn't hold back my grin. "I bought a new dress and everything."

"What's the special occasion?"

"I'm not sure. He had another big sale month at Spectacle and sold a few more online too."

"He doesn't usually make a big deal of that, though, does he?" Mama asked as she sorted through her purse, changing to a smaller one that matched her dress.

"He's always so modest. Sales have really picked up for him, though. He hardly has time to go to Canvas Creations anymore. Imani's really the one running the place."

"Good for him!" She strolled down the hall, pausing beside the painting he'd given her for her birthday of me and Mama when I was little. He'd made it from a photo that had one of her exes ruining the picture, but this was just the two of us. "Tre does beautiful work."

"He does." I gave her one more hug. "Have fun tonight."

"You too, sugar."

I opened the front door and found Kenny coming up the steps, carrying a gigantic bouquet of wildflowers. He smiled when he saw me. "Hey there, Gemma. How are you?"

"I'm good. You two have a nice night." I patted his arm as I passed him on the top step and Mama gasped behind me when she saw him there with flowers. "I'm rooting for you, Kenny," I whispered, and his cheeks turned pink.

"Thanks." He winked and looked up at Mama. "I thought you'd like something colorful, Dara."

"I love them! Thank you!" Mama was beaming when I unlocked my car and slid into the passenger seat. She waved goodbye to me as she let Kenny in the house.

A few miles down the road, I was still smiling about Kenny blushing over Mama when my cell rang and Mandy's name lit up on the screen.

"Hey, Mandy. How's it going?"