Chapter 17 - An eventful entrance

"Yuu... The nature of your soul is..."

"...unclear to me."

"What did you say?" Crowley's glowing, yellow eyes seemed to widen in surprise at the Mirror's statement.

"I sense no magical power from this one. Soundless. Colorless. Shapeless. Utterly vacant.
Therefore, no dorm would be appropriate."

The lone figure in front of the mirror started shifting uncomfortably, their fingers pinching the fabric of their sleeves as many students started whispering and murmuring.

"Are you suggesting that the black carriage went to receive a person
who cannot even use magic?" The unbelieving headmage asked once again for confirmation.

"That is absurd! The student selection process has not erred once in its century of existence...!" As he desperately spoke, the masked man didn't notice the fiery beast in his hold wiggling out of its restrains.

"PUAH...! ME! Let ME have this student's seat!" The cat-like beast managed to free his mouth and gasped loudly for air before jumping toward the mirror, meaning the center of the room.

"Not so fast, you hyperactive weasel!" Crowley yelled out but the creature was far enough to escape his immediate grasp.

The latter grinned deviously and crossed his arms over his puffed chest. "Unlike that human, I can actually use magic! So let me be a student here!" He added with his cocky grin.
You got a bad feeling.

"Look, I'll show you! My spells are the cat's meow!" The magical beast took a big breath in and the red haired boy from before immediately reacted.

"Everybody, get down!" He yelled out and a moment after came blue flames that quickly expanded all over the place.

The supposedly magicless student, who was nearest to the magical beast, stumbled backwards when jumping out of the flames' way. They almost fell but skillfully twisted their leg and pushed on the ground with their palm. Regaining their balance, they sprinted away from the immediate danger, at a much safer distance.

"AHHHHH! HELP! I'm on fire over here!" Screams and running steps filled the room as most students started panicking. One of them even called for help after his robe got on fire!

As Crowley ordered some students to catch the out of control beast, you rushed over the distressed boy, completely tuning out all of the other voices.

"Stand still." You urged the dark tanned boy by holding his shoulder with a hand, and grasping your magical pen with the other.

He fearfully stopped thrashing around and you summoned some water. Fortunately, water magic was the one that best came for you.

His robe from the waist downwards got drenched and the fire immediately extinguished. The boy sighed, relieved, and turned to you. You could now see his bright red eyes and his fluffy white hair.

"Thank you! My butt really got on fire back there- I don't think I saw you getting sorted out earlier! Or maybe I forgot... sorry, I'm not good at remembering faces and names. I'm Kalim by the way!" He happily thanked you before completely changing the subject, energetically apologizing and introducing himself, as if chaos wasn't happening all around you two.

"It's alright. And I didn't get sorted out, in fact." You shook your head slightly and the boy immediately reacted with, almost amazed, surprise. He was about to ask something when you saw a guy with dark skin and brown hair frenetically making his way to you two. Said student's hair was held in a low ponytail and also had some small braids mixed in.