Chapter 37 - A duel

"Ah... I believe I understand the situation." Crowley brought a pondering finger to his chin after the whole serie of events was explained to him.

"You are resistant to the idea of apologizing, but unable to devise any other method to get the housewarden to remove the collar." The masked man briefly summarized Ace's current situation and the ginger begrudgingly confirmed it.

"Yeah, pretty much." He said with an angry scowl.

"I see. If you and the housewarden are truly unable to reconcile, you could always transfer dorm." The headmage quietly offered.

"However, this is the dorm that the Dark Mirror chose for you based on the essence of your being... Any attempt to relocate would necessitate quite a burdensome process, as well as a new ritual." He then added, but the red eyed freshman just scrunched up his nose.

"Transfer dorms, huh...? That'd make me feel like I was running away with my tail between my legs." The latter grumbled a complaint while crossing his arms.

"Hmm. Then it sounds like you should challenge Mr. Rosehearts for leadership of the dorm." Crowley casually laid down that possibility with a carefree smile.

"WHAT?!"

The three Heartslabyul students and small monster all exclaimed loudly in unison while you and the magicless prefect froze up in stunned silence.

"Lower your voices! This is a library!" The headmaster whisper-yelled with a frown.

"But what you said was... insane!" Ace also whispered "loudly" as he looked back at the man with widened eyes.

"There is nothing remotely "insane" about it. After all, that's how Mr. Rosehearts got the position." But the masked adult didn't seem to find anything wrong with his previous statement, calmly reaffirming what he had said.

"What exactly is the process by which housewardens are selected at Night Raven College?" Asked Deuce, after recovering from the initial shock.

"Trey said that Riddle became housewarden within his first week as a student here." Grim crossed his front paws over his chest and pointed out what they already knew.

"There are several ways. You could be appointed by the previous housewarden, for example, or duel the current warden and win." Headmage Crowley began explaining in a calm but serious tone.

"A duel is certainly one of the simpler methods." He pressed on that, causing the two collared freshmen to actually take that course of actions in consideration.

"But isn't fighting with magic against the rules?" The ginger pointed out after a moment.

"In general, yes. But a duel initiated through a formal procedure and conducted in the presence of the headmage is another matter entirely." The masked man spoke with glee as he smiled.

"I'm pretty sure the duel rules don't allow for preemptively handicapping your opponent..." Trey quietly spoke up.

"So this could be a way to force Riddle to remove your collar without apologizing. That said..." He then said, crossing his arms with a serious expression, still sounding against that idea.

"The right to challenge a housewarden is bestowed upon all students when enrolling at Night Raven... So what do you say, Mr. Trappola? Will you challenge Mr. Rosehearts?" The masked headmaster suggested again.