Chapter 72 - Teamwork

"Who knew a morning workout could feel so good? I'm alive, I tell ya! Aliiiive!"

Everyone was either drying their foreheads off with a towel or drinking some water as Grim stretched his little arms high up and yelled out dramatically with a wide grin.

"Right? 'S why I get up an hour earlier than this to get some joggin' in." Jack responded with an excited smile, tail wagging proudly.

"Woah- okay, that might be a little overboard." The fiery creature's tone and expression immediately changed to nervousness before clearing his throat.

"So... Savanaclaw Dorm's already trainin' hard for next year's interdorms, huh?" The small beast mused, paws on his hips.

"Looks like we'll have some worthy rivals." He then smirked smugly, making Yuu glance at him with an unimpressed look.

"Oh, I guess you guys haven't heard yet." Ruggie casually walked over with Leona beside him and you chimed in.

"There's still the interscholastic tournament at the end of the year, no?" You asked with a calm smile and the half hyena bobbed his head up and down in confirmation.

"Yep! Every May, we have an even bigger Spelldrive event than the interdorm tournament." The Savanaclaw sophomore said, turning back to the cat-like creature, who had widened his eyes.

"MRAH! It gets even bigger than that?!" Grim exclaimed in a mix of incredulity and awe.

"It's as Teach' said. The interscholastic games." The dark skinned housewarden specified as he casually crossed his arms over his chest.

"Ah, that's because there's more than one magic school, right?" The spotted skinned human inquired quietly with a tilt of their head.

"As the name suggests, it's a Spelldrive event where different schools compete." Ruggie nodded, stretching his neck in the meantime.

"Our school always plays against Royal Sword Academy." The green eyed junior added in a deep tone, palm on his hip.

"Oh, yeah! I've heard of them!" The fiery beast brightened in recognition.

"Twisted Wonderland's got a number of educational institutions for cultivatin' magicians. Night Raven College and Royal Sword Academy are particularly prestigious." The half hyena shrugged with an easygoing grin.

"We're basically known as the 'Big Two'." The latter almost bragged, cackling quietly.

"So what's Royal Sword Academy like?" Grim curiously asked, making you smile.

"It's a school for pampered lordlings that's fulla snooty, scrawny wimps." Never before had your smile gone from genuine to 'Oh, welp' so quickly, but it couldn't be helped from the lion beastman's smug smirk and statement.

"Shyeheehee! What he said. Their campus 'n uniforms are all shiny and sparkly. Talk about lame!" Ruggie snickered with an almost cruel smirk, eyes creased in mockery.

"Can you imagine how much a single scuff would stand out on a white uniform?" The latter then rhetorically asked, letting out a breath that pretty much said: 'don't even get me started'.

"I know they're supposed to be a big deal, but I wouldn't go there even if they begged me." He then added, swatting his hand dismissingly to the side and shaking his head.

"Hasn't Night Raven College lost the interscholastics for the past hundred years running, though?" Jack casually asked, making the magicless prefect hiss awkwardly as you brought a fist to cover your mouth.

"Grk! W-well..." Oh, Ruggie...

"We're only at 99 so far! You can bet your tail we'll win this year. Hundredth time's the charm." The second year frowned defensively while sweatdropping, ears twitching nervously.