Chapter 53 - An effort to win

Savanaclaw house, housewarden's
dorm room.

"You must be tired, Leona. I've brought you dinner, and on the way, I got a little "work" done." Ruggie casually set down a tray of food on the small table beside the bed, on which his half lion upperclassman was lazily sitting on.

"Always there when I need ya, Ruggie." Aforementioned beastman said with a pleased grin, already taking a morsel for himself.

"Oh, it's a pleasure to be of service to you, Housewarden." The sophomore hyena exaggerated a hand gesture as he gave half a bow.

"You always say that, don't you? Even though you're really doing this for yourself." The dark skinned young man narrowed his eyes, sounding amused.

"Perish the thought, Leona!" The younger student promptly denied in a theatrical fashon.

"It's a pleasure to be of service to OUR cause. After all, all of us want to turn the world upside down." He added with a grin, but it soon faded as he sighed.

"That's precisely why the hyenas joined hands with the King of Beasts in the first place- to improve their lot in life forevermore." Ruggie said, a bit more seriously.

"I'm pretty much doing the same thing." The second year then concluded, bringing his arms behind his head.

Leona scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Then make sure you're careful on your "hunts" and don't leave any evidence behind." He flatly warned, causing the other to snicker.

"Shyeheehee! You should know how hyenas work. We pick our prey clean to the bone." The latter smirked proudly.

"Incidentally, Leona- any thoughts as to who my next target should be?" He then inquired with devious curiosity.

"Mh... How about a little wolf who likes to eavesdrop?" Leona hummed, pretending to ponder, before suddenly switching to a low and deep tone.

"Huh?"

That took the hyena beastman off guard, but the latter didn't even have the time to speak up that the Savanaclaw housewarden continued.

"I know you're there, frosh. No use hiding." He said with a slight growl, glaring toward the door of his room.

"..."

Door that soon opened, revealing a tall and bulky freshman with large wolf ears, whom didn't bother hiding his scowl.

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

"..." Jack glared at the two upperclassmen, not saying a word.

"And what are YOU doin' up so late? Need someone to sing you a lullaby?" Leona raised a brow with an unimpressed look as the smaller student pulled himself together from the surprise, then huffing a laugh.

"Maybe I'll give it a shot! Shyeheehee!" The half hyena snickered mockingly.

"I want to know why." The gray haired wolf beastman spoke firmly, taking a bold step forward.

"Why are you two doing this?" He asked seriously, causing the housewarden to roll his eyes.

"Huh. So it's a bedtime story you're after. All right, I got one for you." The green eyed junior crossed his arms, seemingly bored.

"We went up against Malleus's Diasomnia team in round one of the tournament two years running- We were eliminated both times." The latter stated his last sentence flatly, while unfolding his arms.

"We got a wall fulla championship trophies, but they ran circles around us like we were still in diapers." He scoffed with an undertone of resentment.

"To put the cherry on top, that disgrace was broadcast to the entire world." The dark haired third year pressed on the word "disgrace" as he closed his eyes, his brows then went from barely furrowed to a full-on scowl.